Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Its the little things that count. >

Its the little things that count.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Its the little things that count.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Its the little things that count.

This may sound corny and not really hunting related:

Yesteday I decided to go straight home from work and picking up the kids from school instead of doing some work on the farm. I spent the rest of my day, from 3-9 playing in the yard with my two kids, our dog, two of my neighbors kids and my other neighbor. We decided to play a little friendly game of football and wrestle around a bit. I tell ya, I havent had that much fun in a long time. My wife watched us most of the evening and said "I havent seen you like that in a very long time, it was nice to see you playing with the kids like that again." It was a blast!
I knew there were other things that should have been done like mowing the lawn, cleaning the house, working at the farm, and such, but you know how it goes. We all deserve a break once in a while from our daily routines.
Before bed I asked my wife what we had planned for Friday nite. She said she didnt know...typical answer. I said "Good Im taking you out for dinner" She was like umm ok......
I told her flat out it has nothing to do with hunting season coming up, just something I want to do, wich was the total truth. She didnt beleive me lol...go figure.
Lastnight when we were laying in bed, she asked what has gotten into me, shes never seen me like this. I looked at her and just told her I loved her gave her a gentle kiss good night.
I guess theres a time in all our lives when we realize its all the little things that we do while we are here that matters the most.
I had pretty rough last few years. I lost my grandfather back in 2006, my sister last year she was only 40, and almost lost my mom this year. I guess it all just came rushing back and made me realize. Im only human, my time can be up any moment.
I urge everyone on here to stop and take a good hard look at everything and everyone around you and think about it. Remember these things are gifts. Remember to play with your children, love your family and show them that every day. Before you leave on your next hunting trip, put off today what can be done another day, do something special with your family, or just do something little for them or with them to show that you appreciate them in your lives. Becasue you never know when you can be taken away from them or them away from you. They will remember these days for the rest of their lives, and so will you.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:15 AM
Fork Horn

great post man.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:18 AM
Spike

well said man!
Old 09-03-2009, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

Really Good Post!!!! And you are exactly right. It is so easy to get wrapped in the rat race of life. Work, Money, Bills, Hobbies!! We soon lose track of whats really important... I read something years ago.... A college professor pulled out a large mason jar one day in front of his class, pull out a box of rather large rocks( 1 1/2 inch diameter for your visual) and poured the rocks in the jar to the top and asked the class was the jar full? The class agreed that it was. He then pulls another box out with medium size rocks and starts to pour them on top and working the jar around the middle size rocks feel in between the big rocks filling up the gaps. He then asked the class was the jar full. And again they agreed it was. He pulls out a box of sand and repeats the same thing, pouring in the sand to fill up all the small cracks between the big and medium size rocks. He looks at the class and says the Big rocks should represent all the really important things in life such as your religion (if apropriate), you Family, your Health. The medium size rocks should represent the other important things, things that you need in life but could live without if you absolutely had to, you job, your money, your house. And the sand should represent everything else in your life, you car, your clothes, your hobbies. IF You Fill Up your jar with The Sand First There Will be No Room For Your Big Rocks and we Need to Always Have that In mind!!! One student walks down to the professor, pops a beer top, pours it in and beer soaks into the sand, and says yup but there is always room for Beer lol.... Seriously we do need to keep this in mind. We all lose sight at times, its natural. Take the time to hug your kids a little more, kiss your wife, or girlfriend, or husband, or boyfriend a little more!! Life is way too short. Smile a little more, Show patients a little more, be just a little more giving, and it shall be returned to you!!! Good Luck to everyone and sorry for piggy backing your post wis bow huntr, i couldn't help it
Old 09-03-2009, 06:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Amen Brother!
Old 09-03-2009, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great post! I don`t think it sounds corny at all.

I am right there with you. I turned 44 in aug and i am the youngest of seven two brothers and four sisters.
I have two kids a boy that will turn 15 in nov.
And a daughter that is 19 and in college, My wife travels a lot due to her job.

I lost my dad last new years day 2008
My mom past in 97 the day after christmas.

I don`t know if its my age or what? But i have been doing a lot of heavy thinking lately on that very subject.
I guess theres a time in all our lives when we realize its all the little things that we do while we are here that matters the most.
SO SO True! God bless..
Old 09-03-2009, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

great addition!

Originally Posted by BvrHunter
Really Good Post!!!! And you are exactly right. It is so easy to get wrapped in the rat race of life. Work, Money, Bills, Hobbies!! We soon lose track of whats really important... I read something years ago.... A college professor pulled out a large mason jar one day in front of his class, pull out a box of rather large rocks( 1 1/2 inch diameter for your visual) and poured the rocks in the jar to the top and asked the class was the jar full? The class agreed that it was. He then pulls another box out with medium size rocks and starts to pour them on top and working the jar around the middle size rocks feel in between the big rocks filling up the gaps. He then asked the class was the jar full. And again they agreed it was. He pulls out a box of sand and repeats the same thing, pouring in the sand to fill up all the small cracks between the big and medium size rocks. He looks at the class and says the Big rocks should represent all the really important things in life such as your religion (if apropriate), you Family, your Health. The medium size rocks should represent the other important things, things that you need in life but could live without if you absolutely had to, you job, your money, your house. And the sand should represent everything else in your life, you car, your clothes, your hobbies. IF You Fill Up your jar with The Sand First There Will be No Room For Your Big Rocks and we Need to Always Have that In mind!!! One student walks down to the professor, pops a beer top, pours it in and beer soaks into the sand, and says yup but there is always room for Beer lol.... Seriously we do need to keep this in mind. We all lose sight at times, its natural. Take the time to hug your kids a little more, kiss your wife, or girlfriend, or husband, or boyfriend a little more!! Life is way too short. Smile a little more, Show patients a little more, be just a little more giving, and it shall be returned to you!!! Good Luck to everyone and sorry for piggy backing your post wis bow huntr, i couldn't help it
Old 09-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good stuff. I'm VERY guilty of getting caught up in trivial things. It's good to just take a step back and get a handle on the really important things in life.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

Great Post guys. It is so true.

You will ALWAYS have bills, chores and stuff to do, but you will NEVER have more time.

Wayne
Old 09-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Spike

great post............we all get caught up in the 'stuff' and it's our job to get something good out of everyday!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.