Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Son practicing

Old 09-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Son practicing

My son got his first taste of shooting from a seated position and from a blind today.He didn't have any issues from the seated position.

Notice the Dave cousin anchor across his nose.He did it on his own and prefers it.Hope he shoots as well as he does some day.

He is using the command method but for now we will live with it.Next summer we will work on bt more.

Last edited by TFOX; 09-02-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

congrats to him for doin well and to you in preparing him for real hunting positions/scenarios. looks like he slaps the trigger a little just like my son does.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

He definately slaps it but if I try to get him to use bt,he pulls through the release too hard and results are bad.He actually shoots pretty well like this right now.I have started working him with a bt release but it will take time.

Here is the blind.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats, i can wait to have a kid to follow in my foot steps. ive been shooting since 5 and have never stoped
Old 09-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by TFOX
He definately slaps it but if I try to get him to use bt,he pulls through the release too hard and results are bad.He actually shoots pretty well like this right now.I have started working him with a bt release but it will take time.

Here is the blind.
How old is he? my son is 14 and i could not imagine teaching him to use back tension. he would just get too frustrated at this point. IMO his slapping of the trigger came from him learning to shoot a gun and bein told dont touch the trigger til you are ready to shoot. It has been a difficult habit to break!!!
Old 09-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

My son is 11(just turned 11 friday) but they need to learn it as soon as possible.He can hold my tru BT release and fire it with bt on an old string but he can't draw it yet.He has actually fired his release using BT but not the norm.He tries to cheat bt and just pulls his arm through the shot which has BAD results.IMO,they need to start learning it as soon as possible but it has to be done with care and over time.

IMO,the sooner bad habits are broken or eliminated,the better.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh,and at 14 the tournament circuit is full of kids using nothing but BT releases.AND they are using them properly.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

back tension and kids: I got smoked by a 15yr old kid in the paris,tx asa shoot! At least for the first half anyway. He shot less than 10 down in the first half, but fell apart the second b/c of nerves... If he would have been consistent and pulled off the same score in the second half he would have done as well/better than 75% of the adults in our class!

T, his anchor is better than most anchors posted on here or AT! Nice blind as well.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Derek,we shot over at the bowshop the other day and he completely destroyed 2 arrows through the 10 ring.Hit those darn steel poles on the other side.Time to get on Darren and get some center cores.

Pretty bad when a 40 pound bow shoots through a target.

Lanny has already built some custom rigging for it.He gave me a lesson and I was amazed at what he does when he builds them.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TFOX
Derek,we shot over at the bowshop the other day and he completely destroyed 2 arrows through the 10 ring.Hit those darn steel poles on the other side.Time to get on Darren and get some center cores.

Pretty bad when a 40 pound bow shoots through a target.

Lanny has already built some custom rigging for it.He gave me a lesson and I was amazed at what he does when he builds them.
He has the cores but wont replace them I cant shoot anything over there w/out getting a full pass through Unless I shoot it in the butt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.