Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Why I like being 25-35 ft MINIMUM up a tree >

Why I like being 25-35 ft MINIMUM up a tree

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why I like being 25-35 ft MINIMUM up a tree

Old 09-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Banned

Default Why I like being 25-35 ft MINIMUM up a tree

I have read where people say that being up this high causes an issue with too steep of an angle on an arrow entry/exit, thus not getting a double lung shot. I can live with that, as I almost ALWAYS take out one lung and the heart, which is as good OR better than two lungs in my experience anyway. I have had fat or tissue somehow plug up a double lung hit on deer, after my arrow has completely blown through them, and have not found them, or had a hard time finding them, due to lack of blood. The arrow exits the opposite side of the deer on these lower treestand height shots, and if the deer bleeds, it is all internally, and very little hits the ground. Since I adopted years back, going always high in my stands, 25-35 ft up, my arrow exits the bottom of the deer, Ray Charles can track them, and I have a heart damaged besides at least one lung. When I take out both lungs, at least my exit hole is low on the deer and I get better blood trails then a exit hole high on a deer. I get away with a lot as far as deer not busting me/seeing me with any noise/movement I or my bow may make while drawing or getting ready to draw, I take pics of deer that I don't want to shoot, and they never see me or hear my camera, and I don't seem to get winded, although, I never hunt in a stand when the wind isn't in my favor. I have had great success over the years hunting high, and Here are some deer kills from this last season and I was 30 ft up each hunt. The bottom pic is a buck that decided to bed down right below my tree and you can see my broadhead in the pic, showing you how close I am. The 1st deer in the pic was killed hours after taking the pics of this sleeping buck, he was roughly shot right where the buck was sleeping.

This doe was shot very close to my tree at a steep angle

These two bucks had to be rolled over for pics as there was a lot of blood that had exited out of the exit hole. Tracking was easy and short on all of these kills.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Typical Buck

hardcorehunter-i couldnt agree with you more. my success and recovery rates went up when i too went higher up. I seldom hunt below 25ft unless there is no other choice. Although i would not recomend anyone hunting higher than they are comfortable at because then its pointless. Also i spend a great deal of time practicing on a deer target at the height i am hunting at. Then there is no guesswork where to put the pin at any angle when the moment of truth happens. BTW awesome pics-they dont lie. i shot the buck thats my avatar pic last year with my bow from 27-28 ft up at 20yds. Never knew it was coming.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Typical Buck

Hunting higher clearly has more advantages than low. Agreed. I never hunt under 18 ft. UNLESS the situation absolutely favors it (the cover is plentiful). I love hunting up around 20-25ft.. that's where I am most comfortable.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree if i can get to 25 i feel comfortable and I can get away with a lot more movement with out them detecting me
Old 09-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

When I use my climber, I climb until I feel my bow at the other end of my 25' rope. (If tree, landscape, foliage allows)

When I hang a stand, it's at least 20' if everything allows.

It's always worked for me so that's that in my book.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wish I had it in me to get up that high but I do not do well with heights. Now some stands I can go up to 20 feet as long as I do not have swing myself around the tree trying to get on the platform. If I can step off and sit down that is all I need but I always have that one buddy who invites me to sit in his stand and it is like a game of frogger. Grab this branch swing your other leg around, dont look at the ground.....almost got it! All this above 15 feet and I freak out. I like my ladder stands 15 feet high and I have taken some nice bucks. Now we do have one about 30 feet high this year but I only climbed halfway up and turned around about a month ago. I think if it is dark and I cant see the ground I should be good.....not a fan of heights!
Old 09-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Banned

I like this guys' comment on AT about my same thread:

Originally Posted by 7thSeal
Do have to agree with you here, its like a drain plug for an oil pan. Will more oil empty from the pan if the plug is located on the side or the bottom of the pan? Every time that I change oil.... the drain plug is always on bottom.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

nice bucks and that doe is huge!!
Old 09-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by hardcorehunter
I like this guys' comment on AT about my same thread:
How true that is!! great analogy!!
Old 09-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt 20-25 but i do think 30-35 is to high.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.