Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Pendulum Sight Question >

Pendulum Sight Question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pendulum Sight Question

Old 09-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default Pendulum Sight Question

I really like the look and everything of the HHA pendulum sights and since I am wanting new sights for my bow I was thinking about getting them. My only question is are they good for hunting. I know with my multiple pin sights I check my yardage, draw and shoot with the appropriate pin. Is in inconvenient or take to much time to change the yardage on a pendulum sight??? Or does anyone recomend another pendulum sight that is good also??
Old 09-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good question... Also, how do these sights work for faster/slower bows...? ..and for angle shots compared to ground level shots...?
Old 09-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

HHA's are not pendulm sights. They are single pin 'slider sights'. True pedulum sights swivel upwards when you drop your bow are to accomodate close range shots. Personally I think they are "minute of deer" sights.

HHAs on the other hand are awesome. With today's much faster bows, you often cannot have a 20 and 30 yard pin, because you just can't get them close enough together. A single pin will afford you exactly the same sight picture EVERYTIME! Which I really like... along with a nice wide field of view.

As to the convienience factor: You have to consider your average shot distance. Over the course of about 80 animals with a bow, my average range for an animal taken is about 14 yards. Most hunters in the southeast have an average between 12 and 18 (so I have read). Out west, that average is more like 35-40... but that depends on how you hunt and your specific terrain too. In the Northwest where you can't hardly ever see 30 yards.... its right much lower.

That said, I leave mine on 20 yards.... 25 if its pretty open and I expect my shots to be a bit farther. I'm good to go out to 35 with that setting.... where I have to hold a bit high. If a deer is farther than that... I'll range him and move the pin.... and if I don't get an opportunity at him.... hey... he was just too far... and bowhunting is really about how close anyway. No real loss.

For faster/slower bows, HHAs come with three 'set-up' tapes numbered 0-65. You shoot at 20 yards and move your pin on the slider until you have a good zero, and record that number (lets say 15). Then you start moving back and moving your sight slider up (which moves the pin down) until you are zeroed at 60 yards.... and you also record that number (again lets say 55). You then subtract those two numbers and you get 30.

HHAs come with about 50 pre-made sight tapes, numbered like 20-55 or something like that. It is just calculus... but they have done it for you already if you don't remember your algorithms. So, if you number is 30, you'd find sight tape number 30.... lock your pin down on your 60 yard setting.... peel off the set up tape and apply the #30 tape lining up the 60 yard mark with the pin... bada-bing.... tear it up.

The accuracy of the system depends on you getting a good sight in at 20 and 60 yards. I took several months to do mine... I'm always tinkering. They do sell replacement tape kits incase you totally screw it all up and have to start over. The directions as printed with the sight are really quite straight forward.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alwyays enlightening SC. Although, 55-15 is actually 40.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

swampcollie, i stand corrected yea I didnt mean a pendelum sight but thanks for knowing what i meant to say anyways. lol. U answered about anything i could ever hope to wonder about the sights. thanks
Old 09-02-2009, 03:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot pendulum sights for over twenty years and I don't think I would ever use anything else for hunting. It's just like shooting a rifle, just put the pin on and shoot. I had used Kellers for most of that time but recently switched to Trophy Ridge Mantis with v-drive. It doesn't make any difference how fast or slow your bow is because you are sighting in that particular bow. The only "knock" I would give them is they do have a little vibration from the pendulum but not enough to make any difference.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 09-02-2009, 04:26 AM
Fork Horn

Last season I switched to the Summit HOTDOT. I was very skeptical at first but absolutly love it. Once you sight it in, as long as you're 10ft+ high, it is dead on from 0-30yds. The little red LED is so "thin" that the pinpoint shots are very accurate. The downside is I HATE that it is battery operated. I don't turn the sight on until I actually see a deer. Once or twice after practicing I have forgotten to turn it off and end up with a dead battery next time i go to shoot so I keep a steady supply of 3V batteries. Great sight if you're looking for a pendulum.