HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   girlfriend got a diamond...what lbs for deer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/302284-girlfriend-got-diamond-what-lbs-deer.html)

Mikey30067 09-01-2009 12:37 PM

girlfriend got a diamond...what lbs for deer

we just got my girlfriend a diamond razor edge from cabelas recently. first time she has ever shot a bow and in no time flat had her shooting it great she can consistently touch 3 out of 4 arrows from twenty yards and she loves it i cant get the bow out of her hands

she has her heart set on getting out with me opening morning but before i get her on stand i want to make sure she has enough bow to do the job. right now the bow is set at 36lbs and she has no trouble drawing and shooting 50-60 shots without straining any muscles. whenever she isn't looking i crank up the lbs slightly but being she has never shot before im more concerned with teaching her form then worrying about draw weight

so my question is what do you think is good weight to have the bow at for deer? she is shooting at a 25 1/2'' draw 25 inch easton epic 500 arrows with a 85gr montec g5

my thinking was that she will be pulling around 45lbs come hunting season and if shots are within 20 yards the bow should be more then capable?

thanks for any input and any advise is appreciated im trying my best to make it and enjoyable sport for her she loves rifle hunting so if i can get her out in archery to it would be perfect

blakefrautschi 09-01-2009 01:00 PM

45lbs is plenty.

pwrsrtk350 09-01-2009 01:50 PM

First thing is to check your states regulations for minimum draw weight.

130woodman 09-01-2009 02:10 PM

Yep that is the answer + the less weight she is drawing = less distance.

Originally Posted by pwrsrtk350 (Post 3426773)
First thing is to check your states regulations for minimum draw weight.

KB_boy 09-01-2009 02:36 PM

Your doing right just keep moving it up until she cant no more and then back it down for her.

ndncreek 09-01-2009 04:14 PM

in arizona the min draw weight is 40 lbs. but i'd check out you rules and regs to be on the safe side.

killzonearchery 09-01-2009 04:34 PM

well ill say this the guy who owns the archery shop i go to let his son hunt with a 26 pound bow and he killed a deer. We dont have a minimum here in ky

Damon 09-01-2009 05:09 PM

So many variables here that it is hard to answer...of course a bow set at 40lbs could kill a deer.....if you are close enough to do so without losing trajectory. In my opinion if she is comfortable with 50lbs why not go that? I wouldnt have my g/f shooting less than she was capable first of all and secondly, I surely wouldnt want to take the chance of having a no kill shot. This is her first time bowhunting make it an experience that she will remember....a good solid KILL.

Good Luck to you and her!

sr77 09-01-2009 06:39 PM

If I remember correctly, in Pa. the minimum is 35 lbs. which will easily kill a deer at reasonable distances. I am going through the same thing with my GF right now. She is drawing 30 lbs. and working her way up. Hopefully she will be there in the next few months so I can take her out and try to get her first deer.

Shane

TFOX 09-01-2009 06:50 PM

First,make sure she is legal.What she has now will get the job done so if she is not able to pull the bow back PROPERLY without straining,then keep her where she is.

Once she starts losing form to draw the bow,stop adding weight.