Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Whats your guys opinion >

Whats your guys opinion

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whats your guys opinion

Old 08-30-2009, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default Whats your guys opinion

Is there any kind of classes you can take to learn how to work on bows? Really want to start working on bows and stuff like that out of my home.
I also have a question and would like some comments. In my area we dont have a pro shop within an hour of where i live, but we have a huge selection of public land and we get tons of out of state hunters and even alot of locals that hunt it. The bad thing is if any of these people have a problem with equipment they must drive an hour to receive help and most of these shops are closed on sundays. Do you guys think that a pro shop would get good business. Would be a few years in the making but hopefully will happen. A few people have tried to run shops out of their homes but didnt have any kind of selection and didnt advertise so they failed.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

As a kid of about 7 I got a bike, the next day it was in pieces. That's the kind of schooling I've had all my life, I'm 51. People been paying me to fix things for better than 20 years.

I don't know of any formal school. It's not rocket science although you couldn't tell it from the way products are advertised. Saw an ad for luminocks the other day, they claim the technology is based on ballistic missile technology. It's a light for Pete's sake and there's nothing guided about it.

If ya ain't the kind of person that can take things apart and put them back together starting on an expensive thing like a bow may not be the smartest move although you could buy a cheap one and give it your best shot.

You wont regret it though if you do become proficient.

Find someone who knows and work for them at whatever they will give, knowledge is priceless.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

So let me get this right.... you want to open a shop to cater to out of state customers, who MIGHT have an issue.... and ONLY during the bow season.... when YOU will probably want to be hunting too..... ?????

Think real hard on that one my man.... you have a very very limited clientel.... and only during about 10% of the year... and even then you'll have steady business ONLY when something goes wrong.... and in order to fix whatever issue they have.... you are going to have to do it fast.... which means you'll need parts on hand... and the overhead is going to drown you.

Soap box off.... as written.... you should definately learn to work on your own stuff. Just like you should learn to make your own fishing lures, grow your own vegetables.... fix your own car... etc etc.

Learning how... heck... I can't even remember how... most of it was trial by fire and a couple of properly asked questions answered by people who wanted to see me succeed.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

Well im a farmer and we fix stuff everyday and when you operate a farm you always have something tore apart. Ive also restored a couple tractors and i used to race motocross and never had a mechanic so im pretty sure i can learn. I like how you can post something on here and ask a question and people think your stupid. The whole reason to have this business would be to cater anyone year round..Like most people with pro shops. But ya know if you were out of state hunting somewhere wouldnt you like to be able to go somewhere to get your stuff fixed without having to drive an hour. If you guys cant give comments with out being dick heads then dont leave any at all.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SwampCollie
So let me get this right.... you want to open a shop to cater to out of state customers, who MIGHT have an issue.... and ONLY during the bow season.... when YOU will probably want to be hunting too..... ?????

Think real hard on that one my man.... you have a very very limited clientel.... and only during about 10% of the year... and even then you'll have steady business ONLY when something goes wrong.... and in order to fix whatever issue they have.... you are going to have to do it fast.... which means you'll need parts on hand... and the overhead is going to drown you.

Soap box off.... as written.... you should definately learn to work on your own stuff. Just like you should learn to make your own fishing lures, grow your own vegetables.... fix your own car... etc etc.

Learning how... heck... I can't even remember how... most of it was trial by fire and a couple of properly asked questions answered by people who wanted to see me succeed.
I agree with what's said here. To open any kind of shop you're going to drop about $50,000. $100,000 would be better if you want to be successful and have on hand the things you should have. Before that you have to ask yourself if there is enough customer base to justify the initial outlay.
Then there is the issue of all the paperwork. Taxes, double social security payments, business writeoffs, ordering inventory and maintaining same. Then to top it off, you're talking about working a minimum of 16 hours a day to get this thing going real good. That's for a full time shop.
Lots of cash outlay and lots of hours put in to maybe make a couple bucks, or even lose money. It's not as easy as it all sounds.

As for working on bows? Do it like some of us old guys learned. Tear the bow down, throw it into a pile on the floor and start putting it back together. After a while you'll learn what's what. Being from this day and age you have the advantage of digital photography so you can take pictures of things before you begin. Then there are forums like this to nhelp bale you out from your mistakes. And you will make them.
For starters you need to learn what bow specs are. Helps to know what measurements to take on a bow so you can refer to them when you make changes or the bow goes out of whack. You need some basic tools, such as allen wrenchs, bow vise, some sort of press, bow square, serving tools and a lot of other stuff. Stuff you'll amass as you learn more and more.

For reading material there is a lot of technical help on www.huntersfriend.com. Robin Hood Archery has several videos. Larry Wise has a couple books published that have good info. Easton's Tuning Guide is very good with initial bow setups and various tuning procedures. There are most likely a lot more that I haven't thought of.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Down&OutHunting
Well im a farmer and we fix stuff everyday and when you operate a farm you always have something tore apart. Ive also restored a couple tractors and i used to race motocross and never had a mechanic so im pretty sure i can learn. I like how you can post something on here and ask a question and people think your stupid. The whole reason to have this business would be to cater anyone year round..Like most people with pro shops. But ya know if you were out of state hunting somewhere wouldnt you like to be able to go somewhere to get your stuff fixed without having to drive an hour. If you guys cant give comments with out being dick heads then dont leave any at all.

I think you may have taken it wrong, I didn't see any responses that made it seem like you were "stupid".

Seems like it would be hard to do and you've already said some home shops failed. I guess a question I would ask is how big and how much advertising would you want? After that you would have to weigh that with what you would make for the time you spent. I've talked to a few people that have owned shops over the years (small ones) and most of them say the same thing-- buisness is a boom for 2 months and almost dead for the rest of the year. I know of three businesses that have folded in the past 7 years around me (within 20 miles).

The one shop that has stayed in existence is a rather large place, but also carries a large firearm supply (probably 300 long guns and 50 or so pistols), has an indoor archery range with leagues and staffs about 15 people.

If you're going it alone I would ask how much service could you supply to people in those 2 boom months? All bow work takes a certain amount of time, but I would imagine replacing a string could chew up an hour and a half alone by the time you check BH, cam timing, renock and other stuff. Plus, you will always have people chewing up time with "this thing don't shoot right, got any ideas"?

I do my own bow work and friends, I learned by asking questions on forums and reading tons of stuff on the computer. I have a press, bow vice, bunch of tools, and a Bitz jig. I did this because trying to get good service was becoming a problem and when you found someone trusted the doors closed. I have replaced 3 strings and I would say I have 4-5 hours wrapped up in doing it from start to the bow being tuned again.

Good luck in whatever you decide and even if you do it for yourself and friends it is pretty fun and rewarding.

Chris
Old 08-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

I wouldnt be going at it alone. It would be me and my brother and a close friend. We have just talked about it because people from around here have to drive a distance to get work done or to even buy arrows or broadheads and stuff like that. The only real sporting goods store that close is dicks wjich is an hour away and dunns which is farther. I would want to sell more than bows to. Id like to sell other items and just see how it would all pan out. I dont want to just jump in head first and dump mass amounts of money into it and then be broke.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

The thought of a shop is most times better than having/owning a shop.

Do you like to hunt with your brother/friend? Yes? --that would be difficult with a shop.
What bow brands would you carry? who has what close to you? --you will need to know that, to see what dealers/shops you would be going up against.

Are you going to be open on Sundays?

Etc. Etc.

Do some searches on here for a little more info, this question has been asked many times before.

best of luck.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Down&OutHunting
I don't thimk your stupif at all and didn't intend on saying it. I do think there's something to be learned here and it goes along with fis'n many different bows. You haven't been around here long and you already think someone here is calling you stupid in this thread, aint so. Archery is like that, learning comes slow over time and being sure about something before you are, is a crap shoot.

Millions of people out there with something to learn from. You can be the kind of person who thinks they're calling you stupid and be offended or take whatever they give and in short order after taking whatever anyone had, you'll for sure be smarter. They wont do that as they already know. People will be finding you for help. I know I would.

I'm sure you can. I know I've been gone and needed some help.

Last edited by nodog; 08-31-2009 at 04:07 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

PSE has a school but it costs some good money. And youd have to travel to AZ to get there....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.