Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Need opinions on 2 monsters. >

Need opinions on 2 monsters.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need opinions on 2 monsters.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need opinions on 2 monsters.

Ive been watching a 165ish inch 10ptr and a 175+ inch nontypical for over a month. The season starts sept 1st. They are on public land. The bucks have been coming out into a beanfield in almost the same spot every time and always ending up in the same spot. They always turn left when they come out. My problem is out of the 8 or 10 times ive been there glassing the fields 3 other hunters pulled up and checked them out. im guessing there are 5 or 6 that have been watching them. Opening day is on a Tuesday and being selfemployed i will be able to hunt that day. Hopefully most of the others have to work. Ive got a few options on how to hunt them.
Option 1: There is irrigation sitting 40yds off of the woods. The bucks always stay between the irrigation and the woods. We have had plenty of rain and there is more on the way. I dont think the irrigation will move at all next week. If the wind is blowing out of the woods I can sit behind one of the tires of the irrigation near where they end up. If the wind is blowing into the woods i can sit on the edge of the woods in a climbing stand. Either way ive got 40yd shot max. I can wear an orange hat to let other hunters know the spot is taken.
Option 2: Ive got a spot picked out approx 100yds into the woods where 3 trails come together. I can hunt that with my climber. They may or may not come down those trails but the trails are rite where they usually come out at. The problem with this option is a cant hunt if the wind is blowing into the woods. I can hunt option 1 regardless because ill be approx 80yds down the field from where the bucks come out.
Anothr problem is the 10pt usually comes out 1st. do i take him or take a chance on waiting on the nontypical. ther are 3 other bucks always with them so waiting could be a gamble. im hoping the 10pt comes out early so i can take them both. got 2 buck tags! unlikely tho.

Last edited by bypasskiller; 08-29-2009 at 04:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bypasskiller
Ive been watching a 165ish inch 10ptr and a 175+ inch nontypical for over a month. The season starts sept 1st. They are on public land. The bucks have been coming out into a beanfield in almost the same spot every time and always ending up in the same spot.............

I would LOVE to hunt public land with a bean field.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

there is even a hidden bean field about 1000yds from where these bucks come out at. the beans are eatn down to hardly nothing. i hunt md and del eastern shore and there are bean fields on quit a few public lands. ive got private land to hunt too but when i layed eyes on these 2 i had to have 1 of them!! just hope it pans out.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

Id hope for a good wind and go with option 2 and try to sit all day and take advantage of other hunters moving in and out on opening day. I would almost gaurantee that those bucks wont go into that field in the daylight when season starts, they aren't that dumb.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Spike

I would try option 2 also, myself anyway. Betting on the odds the other guys would be trying for the treeline, hoping they are less aggressive. Those 3 trails may also produce more than you see glassing the treeline also. Just something I'd try openner at least.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

I would play the wind. If in the morning the wind is not right I would go for option 1 but if its good I think your best bet is option 2. Good luck and keep us posted on what happens
Old 08-29-2009, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

im thinking that hunting in the morning mite be a mistake. if those bucks are out in the field when i get there chances are high that i spook them! i really dont think anyone will hunt the morning but you never know. im going to glass the fields the next 2 evenings and see if they come out where the trails are. they actually came out of a small patch of thick pines this evening about 70 yds from where the trails id be sitn come to the field. they may have walked the trails and then cut over to the thick stuff to stage before coming to the beans. i guess ill know better over the next 2 evenings. im guessing if they come out of the thick pines the next 2 evenings that they have changed that to their bedding area and ill have to go with the field setup.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

i will keep everyone posted on what happens. thanks for the input so far. by the way i just checked the weather and it says 75 for the high on opening day. temps are usually mid 80s this time of yr.

Last edited by bypasskiller; 08-29-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going to guess that a bunch of guys will soon be in there scouting and hanging stands and no one will get any shooting. I would be shocked if you get a shot at any of them. I hope I'm wrong. I would hunt as far back in as you can get away with. Good luck!
Old 08-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Fork Horn

Yo only have 2 buck tags if you take 2 does that day also

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.