Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
It's Hard to Understand Some "Pro" Shops. >

It's Hard to Understand Some "Pro" Shops.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

It's Hard to Understand Some "Pro" Shops.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default It's Hard to Understand Some "Pro" Shops.

Got a phone call from a guy asking me if I could work on his bow. I said sure, bring it up.

Well he walks in with a new Reezen. Good I thought, I get to shoot one. (more on that later).

I asked him what the issue was and he said that he had it in a local shop and the shop owner said he needed a couple days with it and will have it tuned. He said he brought it home and is running out of vertical adjustments on his sight.

I put it in my vice and said, first it's obvious it's nock low and arrow is pointed out away from the riser. He said, are you kidding me? (another astonishment that people don't look their equipment over, I mean it was obvious. People should be able to eye ball center and level.)

Needless to say, I sent my levels to WY with my Air Raid so I had to do with others. Long story short, after setting him up proper, a couple shots later and he couldn't hardly believe the difference.

Now I understand even more of some of the horror stories that come out of "pro" shops. This Reezen could have seriously been considered a sucky bow because of it's shops set up.

Now to the bow. It shot really nice, smooth draw. More shock than some of my Bowtechs and the owner was actually surprised at that too. Still don't like the thick grip but a very, very nice bow. I shot his arrow through my Admiral and it had the same speeds. I thought the Reezen was a speed bow? My 82nd blew it away at less poundage.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

I guess it amazes me to this day that when someones bow doesnt shoot well it becomes a "sucky" bow..when it is all about the set up.

Your comment on broadhead flight has made me not accept "average" but go back to the drawing board and find the error.

I agree, that not all pro shops are created equal and quality workmanship and advise is very hard to come by.

Originally Posted by Rob/PA Bowyer
Got a phone call from a guy asking me if I could work on his bow. I said sure, bring it up.

Well he walks in with a new Reezen. Good I thought, I get to shoot one. (more on that later).

I asked him what the issue was and he said that he had it in a local shop and the shop owner said he needed a couple days with it and will have it tuned. He said he brought it home and is running out of vertical adjustments on his sight.

I put it in my vice and said, first it's obvious it's nock low and arrow is pointed out away from the riser. He said, are you kidding me? (another astonishment that people don't look their equipment over, I mean it was obvious. People should be able to eye ball center and level.)

Needless to say, I sent my levels to WY with my Air Raid so I had to do with others. Long story short, after setting him up proper, a couple shots later and he couldn't hardly believe the difference.

Now I understand even more of some of the horror stories that come out of "pro" shops. This Reezen could have seriously been considered a sucky bow because of it's shops set up.

Now to the bow. It shot really nice, smooth draw. More shock than some of my Bowtechs and the owner was actually surprised at that too. Still don't like the thick grip but a very, very nice bow. I shot his arrow through my Admiral and it had the same speeds. I thought the Reezen was a speed bow? My 82nd blew it away at less poundage.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Reezen is a speed bow-- FOR A SINGLE CAM.. the 82nd airborn is also a "speed" bow, but its also dual cam... it BETTER "blow" the Reezen away..

Apples to oranges rob.. Come on brother..
Old 08-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

may i ask the speed you got out of the two bows? the numbers we're getting out of the reezen 6.5 @70lbs with speedpromax arrows are ASTOUNDING, i can't believe it's being "blown away" by much out there....
Old 08-28-2009, 06:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by moose1915
may i ask the speed you got out of the two bows? the numbers we're getting out of the reezen 6.5 @70lbs with speedpromax arrows are ASTOUNDING, i can't believe it's being "blown away" by much out there....
His Reezen at 65lbs shot his Maxima at 277 fps, my 82nd at 62 lbs shot it 297 fps. The arrow weighed in at 376 grains. (Same draw 28.5".

It is what it is. This thread is/wasn't intended for a VS thread. Relax boys.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have seen it alot.One of the reasons I want to open a shop and give people the kind of service to help them be the best they can be.Too many shops are about the sell and don't have the knowledge to actually be of any help.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good bow shops are priceless, bad ones are hell...

Years ago, I took a bow into one to have a new string put on if I remember right...Anyway, I also got a dozen arrows and had a new rest put on...I received a call later in the week that my cams needed new bushings (I don't even know if they had bushings)...Anyway the next weekend, I picked it up and paid the bill and went home...A couple of weeks later I realized that his "dozen" were 11 arrows...This made me think about those bushings...

I never returned, he went out of business, seems others had issues as well...
Old 08-28-2009, 08:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

You mean you actually got it to tune?

The Reezens have got to be the most difficult to tune bows I have seen in a long long time.

The only way we have had much luck getting a reezen to tune has been by using a whisker biscuit. What rest was on that one?
Old 08-28-2009, 11:17 PM
Fork Horn

I visited a BowTech proshop this afternoon--the first one I've ever been in--and although, I didn't shoot any, I was surprised by zomethings the ownder said. For instance, he stated that Bowtechs shoot faster than Mathews bows, and that Mathews LIES about their speed. To be honest, I've always been under the impression that IBO speeds are inflated by all manufacturers, but he says BowTech is the only one that doesn't lie about their speeds.

He also said that anyone shooting a DXT would be lucky to get 270fps out of one. Like I said, I didn't shoot any Bowtechs on that day, but I do know the bowtech is one smooth shooting bow. I have, however, shot every Mathews bow currently out, including the DXT and it will definitely shoot faster than 270.

Although, I think Mathews and Bowtech are two of the finest bows made, I realize the debate on which is better will go on forever, but you can tell the difference between a dealer that's blowing smoke up your rear-end, and one that tells the truth regardless of what he sells, and have more respect for the latter.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fingerz42
The Reezen is a speed bow-- FOR A SINGLE CAM.. the 82nd airborn is also a "speed" bow, but its also dual cam... it BETTER "blow" the Reezen away..

Apples to oranges rob.. Come on brother..
Its IBO for the reezen is still 340 regardless of the cam system... The IBO for the 82nd is 350. The Admirals is 320ish....

TFOX, I wish you would open up a shop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.