Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Checked my trail cams! >

Checked my trail cams!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Checked my trail cams!

Old 08-28-2009, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Really cool pics. What kind of salt/minerals are you putting out? Homebrew or store bought stuff?
Old 08-28-2009, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HuntingBry
Really cool pics. What kind of salt/minerals are you putting out? Homebrew or store bought stuff?
Just regular old, 3$ a 50#(i think 50) bag salt from Rural King. It had a pic of a horse on the bag so im assuming that it was for farm animals...

I threw about a pound of corn out when we put the cam out, and i imagine that is why the coons were there. Not really sure they would be eating the dirt out of a salt lick, but you never know.

Derek
Old 08-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Beautiful country! Some of those deer are very nice.

Have seen deer do that where a salt truck lost it's load. They ate the whole burm up. Lasted for years and years.

Put out a Trophy Rock around here 5+ years ago and I'm pretty sure it's still there in some form. It was no help at all.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nodog
Beautiful country! Some of those deer are very nice.

Have seen deer do that where a salt truck lost it's load. They ate the whole burm up. Lasted for years and years.

Put out a Trophy Rock around here 5+ years ago and I'm pretty sure it's still there in some form. It was no help at all.
I believe it has to do with the location of the mineral block/lick for it to be effective. We hunt the river, and I imagine lots of the deer dont get as many nutrients as others and they use the salt/placed nutrient kind of as a supplement.

Just speculation there really, b/c I really have no idea why there are some places ive seen never get touched like you did, and these low bottom locations are getting wore out!

Many of the pics that the cam took were prime time evening, and I believe I will be sitting there on opening day!!! Always nice to get the first one out of the way as a major confidence booster for the rest of the season

My stand there is just behind the trees to the left which is 17yds to the hole where the deer are. The one I killed last year off of that spot was hard quartering away at that distance which made for a nice 40yd recovery! got liver and lungs with a pass thru.

Derek
Old 08-29-2009, 03:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by drockw

My stand there is just behind the trees to the left which is 17yds to the hole where the deer are. The one I killed last year off of that spot was hard quartering away at that distance which made for a nice 40yd recovery! got liver and lungs with a pass thru.

Derek
Nice! Seems the deer are cooperating.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:02 AM
Typical Buck

cool pics.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nodog
Nice! Seems the deer are cooperating.
For now You never know tho. Come next saturday, that magical sense of theirs may kick in and I wont see one again there all season lol! Hopefully next weekend ill be posting kill pics tho