Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Hunting Naturally >

Hunting Naturally

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Naturally

Old 08-27-2009, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I learned how to hunt many years ago just like you. Boots on the ground and going out looking for sign. Many times it was on public land or publicly accessible land. Then you set up and see what you can see and adjust from there. Lots of good hunts came from that.

As time has gone on I have started incorporating trail cams into my scouting and do bait at my camera sites to make sure I get good pictures. As GMMAT said this is more for finding out what deer are on the property and doesn't really tell me anything about how or where to hunt. You have to have done your homework in advance to know where to put the camera in the first place because even with food out if it is not where the deer are they won't eat it.

I enjoy checking the trail cameras and using them as a tool. I know that even though I get some deer on the camera there are others that I either did not get or avoided the camera because they are old and smart. When I see one of those deer it is always a great surprise just as it was seeing what was out there before trail cams existed.

Bait and food plots and trail cameras and everything else are just tools of the hunt. They don't replace having your butt in the stand and putting in the hours for that split second opportunity.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by GMMAT
LOL....

Be nice, BC!
I hunt with both. I am not asking about equiptment. To be honest I am just tired of hearing about all of these gimmicks. To me it takes the fun and the hunt out of hunting.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by rupypug
Does anyone hunt without the use of trailcams, bait, calls, etc. I hunt public land and use none of this. I love finding what the deer are doing and getting on them. I am not knocking anyone who baits, just seeing how many of us still hunt the old fashioned way.
I do several times a season. Just about as natural as you can get. I make my own trad bows, use camo, and stalk and watch trails. Not to say I wont set in a tree, over a trail/staging area and wait for a big buck.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Do you hunt a compound or do you hunt with bows and arrows you make and hunt naturally?
Mark
You are a natural hunter. What is your next project. I really dig your last bamboo ipe bow. Lots of character. If you ever get into napping flint/obsidian, Ill call on you. I got out of that because it was too time consuming and would break your heart once you chiped a head.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Dominant Buck

I hunt with both. I am not asking about equiptment. To be honest I am just tired of hearing about all of these gimmicks. To me it takes the fun and the hunt out of hunting.

I like to challenge myself, but am a fond believer that a person needs to do what they are comfortable with and enjoy. Im not going to tell someone to not hunt bait, hell Ill do it from time to time. Especially to thin hogs. Food plots, cameras, etc.., I dont use, but if someone else does, great. As long as it is legal and ethical. And by ethical, I mean promote a clean kill. If someone is not practiced up with a trad bow, Id rather that person use a compound or rifle. No need in harming an animal. If using equipment betters their odds and they like it, great.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you're tired of them why are you wasting time and energy talking about them? To me the solution is simple, if you don't like something, don't use it.

Life's too short to worry about what everyone else is doing.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I thought you wew going to ask if people hunted naked.

Most hunt naturaly it's just that the guys that have a better deal have more to talk about. Everybody that's hunts naturaly knows it.

My aim is to be the king of natural, but I'm in no way opposed to doing things high tec.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Dominant Buck

My aim is to be the king of natural
As defined by you.

Congrats.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:09 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by burniegoeasily
Mark
You are a natural hunter. What is your next project. I really dig your last bamboo ipe bow. Lots of character. If you ever get into napping flint/obsidian, Ill call on you. I got out of that because it was too time consuming and would break your heart once you chiped a head.
I think it turned out good for my first bamboo bow. Not near as nice as yours. No nice flowing lines. It is fast. I am shooting 165fps with a 520gr arrow.

I have so many cuts on my arms and hands, you would think I got in a fight with a cat. This knapping stuff is addictive. Problem is, I am having a tough time finding a good place to do it. Glass shards everywhere. Do you have any of that georgtown chert down your way? I have just been working with TV screens and whiskey glass so far.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Typical Buck

I hear you Nodog, thought the same thing, expected when i opened this thread that someone was going to suggest the new camo is going buck naked!!!
one things for sure, we as hunters are a sensitive group, doesn't take much to get us worked up, bottom line, if you are out there hunting anything, anyway, anytime, you are a hunter (that's assuming what you are doing is legal, if not then no matter what your excuse may be, you are a poacher) we should have an open mind to any and all forms of hunting and not judge each other's methods, like everything else in life, if it's not for you, don't do it and don't judge those who do....with that said, don't think the thread wa started to get people worked up maybe more curiosity to see what others are doing??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.