HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   New arc range finder vs the older no arc range finder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/301790-new-arc-range-finder-vs-older-no-arc-range-finder.html)

MI TAMBO 08-27-2009 03:49 AM

New arc range finder vs the older no arc range finder

My buddy just bought a range finder that calculates the arc for bow hunting. I have a good range finder without the arc feature that I have had for 6 yrs. No issues at all with bow or gun. Do you think this new feature is just to sell more units or do you think it matters.

wakeg369 08-27-2009 04:23 AM

I think they do.

I have both, one with ARC (NIKON) & one without (Bushnell). I have noticed that at the farther distances, 35-50 yds or if I'm on a slope, my ARC is more accurate.

JonnyNov 08-27-2009 04:30 AM

Imo unless you are hunting on a huge dropoff, then the whole arc idea is not mathematiically sound. a2 + b2=c2. If you were hunting 16 ft in th air and the deer was 90 ft away (which is roughly 30 yards) then the "arc" distance is 91.41 feet (which is roughly 30.47 yards). Doesnt really seem worth it to me.

RIStrutStopper 08-27-2009 06:55 AM

If steep angles are involved or you're rifle hunting out west, maybe arc is worth it. For typical bow hunting situations there is a very slight difference. On relatively level land and typical stand heights, the difference is insignificant. Pythagorean Theorem, do the math.

OntElk 08-27-2009 07:07 AM

yup. like JonyNov says, do the math!

Total BS for archery hunting. Total marketing gimmick. The arc differnce on any bowhunting scenario is negligible at best.

If you are goat hunting in the moutains with a long range rifle it would be helpful to rang that animal 400 yds away and 300 feet elevated. Sure I'll say that is helpful but bowhunting????

C'mon everyone do the math! I laugh when i see that commercial with the bowhunter ranging a deer about 30 yds from his stand with the "all new ARC technology". Probably very close to the math JonnyN gave.Yup deer is actually a little less than 1/2 a yard further. Better use the 30.47 yd pin!!!!!!!

NCRemington700 08-27-2009 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by JonnyNov (Post 3421423)
Imo unless you are hunting on a huge dropoff, then the whole arc idea is not mathematiically sound. a2 + b2=c2. If you were hunting 16 ft in th air and the deer was 90 ft away (which is roughly 30 yards) then the "arc" distance is 91.41 feet (which is roughly 30.47 yards). Doesnt really seem worth it to me.

Exactly.

Originally Posted by RIStrutStopper (Post 3421591)
If steep angles are involved or you're rifle hunting out west, maybe arc is worth it. For typical bow hunting situations there is a very slight difference. On relatively level land and typical stand heights, the difference is insignificant. Pythagorean Theorem, do the math.

Another great point. Not worth it :imo: