Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Ladder Treestand modification Do it or Don't >

Ladder Treestand modification Do it or Don't

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ladder Treestand modification Do it or Don't

Old 08-27-2009, 04:47 AM
Spike

Default Ladder Treestand modification Do it or Don't

We currently have about 9 nice large ladder stands great for both gun and bow. 7 of the stands are 20 foot high. Good enough for where we hunt. The other two are 16 footers. We are thinking about making our own ladder extensions to make them 20 footers. Would you do this or do you think we would be comprimising the engineering and specifications on the stand, thus creating a potential hazard in the field. Just curious what you guys thought.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it were me, I wouldn't do it. There are plenty of people that are comfortable with modifying that stuff, but I just wouldn't feel safe I don't think. Stick the lower ones in some thicker stuff, and you're all set.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not saying that I haven't made "improvements" on products I've owned, but generally speaking, if something like a treestand was designed for 16 feet, you should keep it there. Like YM said, slap it in a low pine or some thicker stuff and you will be fine.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:13 AM
Dominant Buck

We used zip ties to attach small cedars to the rungs. Instant camo of the ladders....and no other nods.

Most of my ladders are 15'.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

With something like a ladder stand, I don't think I would make any mods. They were engineered a specific way, by people who know more about engineering a ladder stand then myself. An additional 4 feet just don't seem worth the risk of taking a fall, this coming from a guy who has taken a 32 foot drop once already.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

First off i want make it clear i am not telling YOU to do this but i have done it before and not had any problems. i added an extra 4 ft ladder section to a couple 16 foot stands i had for my son to gun hunt when he was younger. I would definitely not put him in something where i thought there was any chance it wasnt safe. What i did have to do tho was add an extra brace/support bar between the ladder and tree. I put one at approx. 8ft and the other approx. 16ft. After everything was ratcheted down tight they were very sturdy-i would even go as far to say they were more sturdy than the 16ft ladder with just one brace. Definitely a two man job putting them up tho.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

if you have extra ladder sections i wouldnt hesitate to do it.... i could be wrong, but dont they make ladder extensions for most ladder stands anyway?....i have never done it, but if i felt the need to make my stand taller, i wouldnt hesitate.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just look at a 20 and the 16, if there is no difference between the 2 except for... then I'd do it. If on the other hand one has bigger tubing or... then I might not.

A long time ago a local roofing company used to take 2 40' extention ladders and tie them together to reach the tops of very tall buildings. I heard that when you got to the center with a bundle the ladder was bent in so far you were climbing up tilting backwards. Start tieing 2 16's together and that might be something else. lol

None of those stands come with enogh tie downs and you can always ad another stabilizer.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't.

Especially since it is extremely difficult to use a harness while ascending a ladder stand. If you fall from 16-20' amidst the wreckage of ill-engineered ladder stand, your wife may be changing your diapers for the rest of your life.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Host of Hosts

Personally I would spend the extra 20.00 for the 4 foot extentions per stand.By the time you gather up all the materials and weld them ect your not saving any money by doing it yourself.

I've killed quite a few deer from 15 foot ladders though.