Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Favorite part Of Bow season. >

Favorite part Of Bow season.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Favorite part Of Bow season.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:42 AM
Spike

Default Favorite part Of Bow season.

I'm not looking for best kill% dates. What I am wondering is what part of the season is your persons favorite time. Openning day/week. Pre-rut, Full rut, post-rut etc. I know alot of hunting shows always boast rut is when to truely get to buisness. But a couple things are steering me away from that sort of.

1. Yes mosters make mistakes and get taken. Or you get to pick from possably many more bucks. But to me its like well, shooting fish in a barrel rather than fishing for them.

2. Last year Gun season in Mo started smack dab in full rut. This year I believe theres a decent gap still bow only. But every gun owner in the surround 3 states figured more bullets fired more points. My boy and i counted no kidding, after I tagged 8 pt 5 mins after openning season and went back out, 7 shots by 1 gun. pause (reload) and 4 more shots. Found out it was a local cattle guys relation........ never hit anything. The whole gun season you hear nothing but gunshots everywhere. Spooked and looking for females I think will be a touchy time around here. So I'll grab the 12 and head to a small patch of wood way back in a field that I don't think ANYONE but me will walk to.

3. I have hopes that closer to openning it will be a bit more of a challenge to stick a buck when he's not all excited looking for love. Still testing the waters not skinnydip bellyfloping in the neighbors pool trying impress the girl next door.

4. And after when what little snow we get will offer its own surprises I hope. I have great area to hunt, secluded, full of beds, acords water etc. You name it its good it pretty much I believe. Other than a 64 in wide screen.

Just looking for some personal opinions.

Bow hunting more for challenge to me than just a drop a deer. Thats what the guns for when I have the 1 that got away story from the bow.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

What I am wondering is what part of the season is your persons favorite time. Openning day/week. Pre-rut, Full rut, post-rut etc..
Everything in what you sead plus the end of summer and cooler temps.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:00 AM
Spike

I love Opening Day......I couldnt be more prepared....everything is checked about 100 times....stands are fresh....woods are quiet.....its Fall.....your a Bowhunter...and now it's our time.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

The cooler temps, the light north wind off the river, the smell of leaves rotting on the ground, the crunch of an acorn I walk over them, the smell of a bucks musk in the cold air as it aproaches my stand, the sight of a nice buck moving slowly through the fog, the feel of the draw, the sound of my hearth thumping just as soon as I settle the pin and slowly squeeze the trigger on my release, the sight of the arrow making contact, the 30minute wait before getting out of the stand to recover my arrow, the sight of a good blood trail, the track, finding the buck, kneeling down to thank the lord for what he has blessed me with, cleaning the deer, getting it to the farm, the pictures...and the memories that last a lifetime...
Old 08-27-2009, 05:16 AM
Dominant Buck

1. Yes mosters make mistakes and get taken. Or you get to pick from possably many more bucks. But to me its like well, shooting fish in a barrel rather than fishing for them.

I like the way you think.

I break up my season into 2 parts:

1. The time leading up to the pre-rut...where I'm HUNTING "him" (and not simply waiting for him to waltz by ME).

&

2. The time when I admit defeat.....and resort to rut tactics.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:47 AM
Typical Buck

Love the rut for bucks, but early season is great for does.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

Honestly I love ALL OF IT... From begging of the season till the end of the year. Through all the hot miserable days to all the cold not seeing crap freezing my butt off days. Just being out in the woods with my dad and my boys is a blessing to me.......
Old 08-27-2009, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I mainly like how much more relaxed the deer are before gun season last year it was amazing the difference when i hunted before gun and after gun season also i like the look on peoples faces when i say yeah i killed it with a BOW yes some string and sticks and there like wow that aweosome all i can say is yeah i know it is lol i also feel safer during bow season
Old 08-27-2009, 08:09 AM
Spike

PRE-RUT = my favorite time of the year. Good deer movement & less idiots.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Spike

Just being in the woods with my bow and leaving all the personal stuff or problems in life back at home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.