HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Iowa????? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/301778-iowa.html)

Buckmaster519 08-26-2009 09:38 PM

Iowa?????

My roomate is wanting to take me to iowa where hes from to hunt for deer. Last year he shot a buck that scored 204 P&Y. Im used to hunting in west texas and this will be a big change for me. Can yall give me some advice on gear and what to expect. He says hes spotted about 3-4 160-170 class deer on his place for me so im really nervous. What kind of shots should i practice as well as tactics because im used to hunting in texas over deer feeders. All help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Colten

dman4505 08-27-2009 03:35 AM

out of blinds, and/or treestands.
weapons would be shotgun, muzzleloader, bow...high power rifle late January and only in the southern two tiers of counties.
pretty much the same as you do now, only NO FEEDERS it's illegal to bait in Iowa and it will cost you when caught.
where in Iowa would you be hunting?

Don

YooperMike 08-27-2009 03:40 AM

First thing you need is a tag. Not trying to state the obvious here, but they have a lottery for tags, so you need to enter the lottery next year, too late for this year now. As for the hunting, pretty typical midwestern hunting like you see on TV. Treestands, agriculture, woodlots, and giant bucks!

ElkNutz 08-27-2009 05:02 AM

Basically Iowa is a big feeder...you'll feel right at home.

hardcorehunter 08-27-2009 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by YooperMike (Post 3421372)
First thing you need is a tag. Not trying to state the obvious here, but they have a lottery for tags, so you need to enter the lottery next year, too late for this year now. As for the hunting, pretty typical midwestern hunting like you see on TV. Treestands, agriculture, woodlots, and giant bucks!

Yea...you have to get drawn 1st before anything...can take years for this to happen

Buckmaster519 08-27-2009 07:13 AM

he has personal property with tags

ahunter55 08-27-2009 07:18 AM

You as a Non Resident needs to apply for tags- personal property of friend make no difference.

hardcorehunter 08-27-2009 07:38 AM

he can't let you hunt with his tags regardless if he has landowner tags.

Originally Posted by Buckmaster519 (Post 3421618)
he has personal property with tags

Buckmaster519 08-27-2009 08:12 AM

i understand ill probly film or something. He lives in Des Moines But has alot of family property south. Yea do yall think ill be hunting from a tree stand? Are buck grunts a necessity for stoppingg a buck and whats the weather usually like.

blakefrautschi 08-27-2009 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Buckmaster519 (Post 3421692)
i understand ill probly film or something. He lives in Des Moines But has alot of family property south. Yea do yall think ill be hunting from a tree stand? Are buck grunts a necessity for stoppingg a buck and whats the weather usually like.

:poke:if your not going to be hunting, i would say just sit still? and if your filming him then you can learn from what he does for next season....im sure he knows if grunts and such are a necessity...