Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Iowa?????

Old 08-26-2009, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Iowa?????

My roomate is wanting to take me to iowa where hes from to hunt for deer. Last year he shot a buck that scored 204 P&Y. Im used to hunting in west texas and this will be a big change for me. Can yall give me some advice on gear and what to expect. He says hes spotted about 3-4 160-170 class deer on his place for me so im really nervous. What kind of shots should i practice as well as tactics because im used to hunting in texas over deer feeders. All help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Colten
Old 08-27-2009, 03:35 AM
Fork Horn

out of blinds, and/or treestands.
weapons would be shotgun, muzzleloader, bow...high power rifle late January and only in the southern two tiers of counties.
pretty much the same as you do now, only NO FEEDERS it's illegal to bait in Iowa and it will cost you when caught.
where in Iowa would you be hunting?

Don
Old 08-27-2009, 03:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

First thing you need is a tag. Not trying to state the obvious here, but they have a lottery for tags, so you need to enter the lottery next year, too late for this year now. As for the hunting, pretty typical midwestern hunting like you see on TV. Treestands, agriculture, woodlots, and giant bucks!
Old 08-27-2009, 05:02 AM
Typical Buck

Basically Iowa is a big feeder...you'll feel right at home.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by YooperMike
First thing you need is a tag. Not trying to state the obvious here, but they have a lottery for tags, so you need to enter the lottery next year, too late for this year now. As for the hunting, pretty typical midwestern hunting like you see on TV. Treestands, agriculture, woodlots, and giant bucks!
Yea...you have to get drawn 1st before anything...can take years for this to happen
Old 08-27-2009, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

he has personal property with tags
Old 08-27-2009, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

You as a Non Resident needs to apply for tags- personal property of friend make no difference.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:38 AM
Banned

he can't let you hunt with his tags regardless if he has landowner tags.
Originally Posted by Buckmaster519
he has personal property with tags
Old 08-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

i understand ill probly film or something. He lives in Des Moines But has alot of family property south. Yea do yall think ill be hunting from a tree stand? Are buck grunts a necessity for stoppingg a buck and whats the weather usually like.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Buckmaster519
i understand ill probly film or something. He lives in Des Moines But has alot of family property south. Yea do yall think ill be hunting from a tree stand? Are buck grunts a necessity for stoppingg a buck and whats the weather usually like.
if your not going to be hunting, i would say just sit still? and if your filming him then you can learn from what he does for next season....im sure he knows if grunts and such are a necessity...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.