Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Iowa?????

Old 09-04-2009, 01:09 AM
Fork Horn

thanks guys. im sorry for getting so defensive i just didnt know about all of that stuff and it kind of hurt my feelngs the way i was talked too but it was ignorance of iowa hunting that fueled this, so i apologize to everyone. When i go up there i am just goin to fish or sit in his backyard and observee the iowa terrain.

Thanks yall
Old 09-04-2009, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by WhitBri
This is the exact type of thing that I see way too often and Iowa should take away the landowner tags. First he was hunting Iowa, then when tags got brought up he has property tags, now he's going to be filming, yeah right. Just as FYI Iowa DNR is out there and they love to take non resident money, trucks, bows, guns everything while taking a deer illegally. These landowner tags get abused so badly they need to get rid of them. The tags never get used the way they are designed.

I have used landowner tags correctly for years. So have many of my friends. You are WAY off base here. I'm sure there is some abuse but you paint with a very broad brush. And you are wrong. I bet if you were fortunate enough to own land you would have landowner tags. Guarantee it.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by fletch920
I have used landowner tags correctly for years. So have many of my friends. You are WAY off base here. I'm sure there is some abuse but you paint with a very broad brush. And you are wrong. I bet if you were fortunate enough to own land you would have landowner tags. Guarantee it.
X2

Then, in regards to the original post, the "loophole" that many NR's use is the "party hunting" during shotgun season scenario. You buy a NR antlerless tag, your buddy let's you put his IA resident any sex tag on the buck you shoot, perfectly legal. Some might climb up my back for telling you this, whatever. It's the way the law is, I don't much like it, but if it bothers people enough, maybe they will contact their legislators/IADNR and get it changed. "Party hunting" is not allowed during archery or muzzleloader season, though.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Spike

Buckmaster519,
Couple things. If you choose to hunt Iowa you will need to draw the appropriate tag for the zone your friend has ground in. As stated above this could take a couple of years.

Also, there is a difference in participating and assisting. You may observe (film, observe, ect.) but you may not assist in the hunt (Shoot, help carry weapon, treestand, help drag deer ect...). There are countless people that come to Iowa every year to film hunts and you do not need a tag as long as you are not assisting.

Good luck and to be safe just give the dnr officer in the area a call to make sure. It never hurts. But, you are well within your rights to film a hunt as long as you do not assist in the hunt.

I have waterfowl hunted in both Texas and Oklahoma and met some great people I hope you find Iowa folks as gracious.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

fletch920 I may be painting with a broad brush, but from what I have seen in the areas I hunt I'm not off base at all. I should specify as the majority of the problem come during shotgun season. I've seen groups with 6-8 guys with over 40 tags and I live in north central Iowa and the county only gives out 100 extra doe tags. Some of the landowner tags are for property that doesn't even hold a deer and couldn't for that matter. If you buy your landowner tag hunt your land and harvest a deer on your land then I have no problem with it, but I think unfortunately you and your friends are in the minority. More the reason to be vocal and stop the ones that aren't using their tags the right way. Bottom line is the state doesn't care and the DNR is vastly under funded and undermanned. So its up to us to call out the abuse when we see it. Iowa is an easy top three states to hunt whitetails, us as residents have a great privledge to hunt here, but a responsibility to hunt ethically and within the laws.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

jnrbronc you're probably right in the loophole, if it is the case and is legal more the reason to outlaw party hunting. Too bad the state won't listen to us as we are by far the minority, hell we're the minority in the deer hunting crowd in this state. All the state cares about is killing deer for the insurance companies and farmers who have the lobbists in the state house, and you gotta give them credit party hunting does kill more deer.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

So its up to us to call out the abuse when we see it.
BINGO! You said it, turn them in instead of bad mouthing all landowners.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

Been there tried that, DNR still has to catch them in the act. They can say they shot the deer anywhere once its in their garage. How many times have you been checked deer hunting. I bow hunt and late muzzleloader hunt. Never been checked. But I hate to bad mouth the DNR, its hard to care too much due to the fact they put in the work and offender gets a slap on the wrist.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

How many times have you been checked deer hunting.
I've been checked 5 times in 30 years of deer hunting, three times on my own land (within the last 18 years)! So..... it does and can happen and every time was gun season.