Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Iowa?????

Old 08-28-2009, 02:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Buckmaster519
My roomate is wanting to take me to iowa where hes from to hunt for deer. Last year he shot a buck that scored 204 P&Y. Im used to hunting in west texas and this will be a big change for me. Can yall give me some advice on gear and what to expect. He says hes spotted about 3-4 160-170 class deer on his place for me so im really nervous. What kind of shots should i practice as well as tactics because im used to hunting in texas over deer feeders. All help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Colten

Are buck grunts a necessity for stoppingg a buck .

wow guys yall are awesome and very supportive.....not so i wont be filming...bull@#$% i respect the drawing of tags and i would never think of taking one illegally. Some bowunting family yall are. i asked for help and all i got is trashed on by someone who has no idea of my intentions but insists he knows what im going to do? well screw yall who blabber on about illegal hunting.

just a tip dont talk crap until you know the whole facts. jumping to conclusions leads to misinformed incoherent blabbering people
Dude, we aren't jumping to conclusions, and the only one blabbering is you. It is evident that you have full intentions of hunting in IA with no legal tag. Your IA buddy says, "Hey, no one will know, we'll just use my familys' landowner tags. He is hunting, you don't need to know what kind of shots to practice for and you don't need a buck grunt call, as a buck grunt call falls into assisting another hunter and you need a license to do that.
So basically, your only question needs to be,"What do I need to wear for clothing to stay warm while I film". Oh, and the others are right. IA is proud of their deer. Shoot a deer illegally, especially a 150" or more with no license ,and you will not only have your vehicle and equipment taken from you, but will get a $5000-$10,000 fine and 80 hours of community service, or $10,000 to $20,000 if you want to opt out of the community service. Page 18. On page 23 you will find where you must have a license to assist another hunter.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/law/files/huntingregs.pdf

Last edited by hardcorehunter; 08-28-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

My roomate is wanting to take me to iowa where hes from to hunt for deer. Last year he shot a buck that scored 204 P&Y. Im used to hunting in west texas and this will be a big change for me. Can yall give me some advice on gear and what to expect. He says hes spotted about 3-4 160-170 class deer on his place for me so im really nervous. What kind of shots should i practice as well as tactics because im used to hunting in texas over deer feeders. All help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Colten
he has personal property with tags
i understand ill probly film or something. He lives in Des Moines But has alot of family property south. Yea do yall think ill be hunting from a tree stand? Are buck grunts a necessity for stoppingg a buck and whats the weather usually like.
wow guys yall are awesome and very supportive.....not so i wont be filming...bull@#$% i respect the drawing of tags and i would never think of taking one illegally. Some bowunting family yall are. i asked for help and all i got is trashed on by someone who has no idea of my intentions but insists he knows what im going to do? well screw yall who blabber on about illegal hunting.

just a tip dont talk crap until you know the whole facts. jumping to conclusions leads to misinformed incoherent blabbering people

BUSTED !! Ought to know better than to BS on this board LOL

Good job, fellas from IA.!!

Last edited by crokit; 08-28-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

The sporting goods store I work at has a deer hanging on the wall (donated by the Iowa DNR) with a story next to it about a Michigan hunter that was "filming" and ended up shooting this very nice buck (the one hanging on OUR wall) with land owner tags.... long story short the DNR fined all hunters involved and the one that took the shot had a total of $51,000 in fines ....
Old 08-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by YJRR
The sporting goods store I work at has a deer hanging on the wall (donated by the Iowa DNR) with a story next to it about a Michigan hunter that was "filming" and ended up shooting this very nice buck (the one hanging on OUR wall) with land owner tags.... long story short the DNR fined all hunters involved and the one that took the shot had a total of $51,000 in fines ....
$51,000 Holy Santa Clause ****!
Old 08-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

Oh yea i have full intentions of killing without a tag so much so that i dont care that i dont have the money and just graduated high school. Im proud of all deer regatdless of state. And sorry i had no idea you needed a license to help. You automatically assume i will shoot one at all cost and thats total bull#$&^. I wish someone in the very first post would informed me of this like a fellow bowhunter should an not talk down on me as if i was a thief. Yea they way i stated things may look suspicious but i can assure you i have no intentions of shooting one know i know the facts. Sorry for ever asking for help. I thought someone from that state would help me understand the laws of iowa as a steward of hunting unlike yall have done.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

I thought someone from that state would help me understand the laws of iowa as a steward of hunting unlike yall have done.
They were helping you understand the laws.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

i just read on the iowa dnr link and i dont have to draw a tag i just have to purchase necessary license
Old 08-29-2009, 04:10 AM
Fork Horn

You are correct you have to purchase the license, there are only a certain number of non resident tags given out per zone. With the popularity of Iowa with Southern Iowa being the most popular. Everyone puts in an app. They draw for tags, you don't get a tag you get a pt. and get preference the next year, in some areas of the state it can take up to three yrs to get the tag.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:15 AM
Fork Horn

You are right the site isn't real clear. Here is what I found that talks about it
http://programs.iowadnr.gov/wildlife/nrdeer.aspx
http://www.iowadnr.gov/law/regs/09nrdeer.pdf
Old 08-29-2009, 04:19 AM
Fork Horn

Also my statements early may have been harsh towards you. I don't know your intentions but from the first post it appeared they were to hunt. I was more upset at your landowner friend. It appears he told you you could hunt with his landowner tags and invited you up. He is the one in the wrong. But again gets back to the all to often abuse of the landowner tags in this state. If us as Iowa residents want to keep our hunting rights the way they are we must curb the abuse of the system. Or we'll just end up like Illinois or South Dakota.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.