Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Promise fullfilled >

Promise fullfilled

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Promise fullfilled

Old 08-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Promise fullfilled

Some of you may remember me making my son a promise a few months ago that if he could get to 40#'s comfortably that I would get him a new bow.Well,I was in the shop a couple weeks ago when someone was trading in a Hoyt Rintec,50# er.

I took my son last week to see if he could shoot it on 40# and he had no problem and actually said it felt easier than his bow on 38#.(he might have just been trying to get a bonus from me)

It just so happens that his birthday is Friday(he will be turning 11) so I headed over today and picked it up for him.

I brought it home and set it up at 22" @ 40# shooting 334 grain 1716's @ 172 fps.

His pa paw got him a QAD ultra rest hunter model for his birthday as well.I must say I really like this rest.Especially for this setup.

He needs a little more length but the cams only adjust in 1" increments so I might add a 1/4" to his loop so he can get his release elbow back a little more comfortably.

I don't think he will have ANY problems killing a deer at 15-20 yards.Now I just have to get him on one.

I am going to my buddies Friday morning to make new strings and cables for it because the ones on it are looking a bit ragged but I had to set it up so he could shoot it.

Him shooting when he first got it.

After getting 15 and 20 dialed in,we moved back to 25 yards.this is his FIRST EVER group using pins at 25 yards.

This is his second group at 25 after making a slight adjustment to the pin.I did give him a mulligan on his 3rd arrow of the group because he did make a bad shot but this IS 3 of 4 on his second group ever at 25.

Last edited by TFOX; 08-26-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looking good! He has a good teacher!

I bought my 11yo son a 09 Diamond Razor Edge this past spring....he loves it! Its a really nice little bow, and he is shooting about what your son is weight/draw. I also bought a pink and black one for my 8yo daughter earlier this summer... she will be getting it for Christmas!

Is your son gonna hunt with you this year? I was hoping to be getting my son bowhunting with me this year, but due to sports....he's nowhere near ready, and doubtful he will be. Travel baseball 5 days a week from March through end of July....and football started 2 weeks ago - 5 days a week as well, we don't have time for squat. Dad's not even ready!
Old 08-26-2009, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes,he is planning on hunting with me this year.Should be fun.

I know all about the sports,my son plays travel baseball as well.He even played on his all star team and a travel team this summer.We live in Henderson Ky and made a trip to Cincinatti as well as Lousville ky for baseball.He also just started playing football,which he hasn't done for a couple years but he is loving it.He is fullback and linebacker on the A squad.

It will be tough for him because our season starts sept 5th and football is going on.Then he plays basketball which will run through most of the rest of the season but he will get out there with some.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL....yep, you know the deal. We did two baseball teams too...and all-stars as well. Its crazy I know, but man its fun - and I know it won't last forever. My wife questions our sanity sometimes - my answer is "its just where we are right now".

Sounds like our kids are alot alike...my son is the starting QB on his team, and loving it....and plays basketball as well - this year will be middle school as he is going into 6th grade. Throw in soccer, baseball, and basketball with my 8yo....its no wonder I don't have any hair left! Thank God I don't have 3 or 4 kids!

I think we are gonna put the bowhunting off till next year, I don't want to put him out there if he's not fully prepared. He can go whack a few with his rifle and still have fun. Good luck to you and your son...I'm sure he'll do fine!

Mike
Old 08-26-2009, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

So what bow are you gonna buy him on his 12th birthday ha ha, since Im sure he is growing like a weed. All kidding aside that is a great bow for him. I know when I was that age they sure didnt have many bows for kids. There are several out with a tone of draw length adjustment and poundage. The best of luck to both of you this year. Its always great to see parents getting their kids involved in hunting. I know that is something I really look forward to when I have kids.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

My son just started 6th grade.

My daughter just started her sophomore year in highschool and is just as busy.She dances and had several competitions last year.Including Mationals in Orlando Florida where they came in 2nd in hip hop.She also plays Highschool fastpitch Softball.

I think she is going to try and bowhunt as well.She is in my avatar.BUT,her time is limited due to being 15 and highschool dance.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

Its all down hill now. Now he knows how much fun it can be, good luck! lol.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by passthru79
So what bow are you gonna buy him on his 12th birthday ha ha, since Im sure he is growing like a weed. All kidding aside that is a great bow for him. I know when I was that age they sure didnt have many bows for kids. There are several out with a tone of draw length adjustment and poundage. The best of luck to both of you this year. Its always great to see parents getting their kids involved in hunting. I know that is something I really look forward to when I have kids.

This bow goes to 26" and 50#.I am hoping he can shoot it a full year but he IS growing like a weed and only time will tell.

BUT,I have an Xtec sitting here that goes down to 27" and is a 50#-60#er.

That should be a good bow for him but if he keeps shooting like he is,he might end up with a target rig.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's awesome, How cool for him to whack one his first year out. Best of luck to the little guy and HAPPY BIRTHDAY...
Old 08-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TFOX
This bow goes to 26" and 50#.I am hoping he can shoot it a full year but he IS growing like a weed and only time will tell.

BUT,I have an Xtec sitting here that goes down to 27" and is a 50#-60#er.

That should be a good bow for him but if he keeps shooting like he is,he might end up with a target rig.
Yeah they grow fast at this age for sure. My son grew from a 7.5 cleat in Feb, to a 9 in Aug. Crazy. That is why I got my kids the Razor Edge bows....so much adjustability. His goes from 30-60lbs...and 19-29" - with the same cams and limbs. He's set for quite a while (I hope!). My daughter's is at 15-30lbs now....but she can get upgraded limbs from Diamond for $50 when the time comes. I am throroughly impressed with these bows, they are really nice - and especially for the money. Amazing the stuff they make for the young folks these days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.