Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Give us your best bowhunting tip!! >

Give us your best bowhunting tip!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Give us your best bowhunting tip!!

Old 08-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

Default Give us your best bowhunting tip!!

With bow season fast approaching i thought it would be cool for people to share there best bowhunting/deerhunting tips. We all know to hunt down wind from aproaching deer and the other bowhunting basics-lets get some real tips that maybe not so obvious or known. Heres mine to start: When hunting scrapes, i place dirt from other hunting area scrapes in the one i am hunting. The scent in the dirt from bucks in the other area often creates a very mad buck where you are hunting!! And its free!!! This tactic has worked great for me!!
Old 08-26-2009, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

Good tip Kid!! I'll have to try that this season for sure. The only real tip I have is one we all know, so sorry I'm not as creative... My tip is PRACTICE......practice, practice, pratice. Been shooting with my dad since I was around seven, I'm currently 29 and still have a lot to learn and work on... Practice Makes Perfect.... Aim Small Miss Small... ya hear......
Old 08-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Put down the training wheels and get a trad bow. lol. Im just fooling with ya.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Make your hunting situation (blind or treestand) as comfortable as possible. This way you will have no problem staying out all day.
Do you know how many big deer you miss by leaving your stand after the morning hunt and coming back for the evening hunt?
No you don't. And you never will
Old 08-26-2009, 01:50 PM
Typical Buck

Good tips-come on guys share your secrets!!
Old 08-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Fork Horn

When i hunt a given area, i always pay attention to what way the wind is blowing in order for it to be effective. I don't hunt climbing stands, so mobility is limited. But often times, if the wind shifts and ruins one stand, depending on the terrain and the way the wind moves across the earth, you might still have a decent outing 20 yards away. Also use this advantage to disperse your scent bottles, I use a tampon in a film canister, and refrigerate them when not in use. I have had deer come from odd directions down wind of me, and put them in their mouths.
moral of the story, learn how the wind moves around your terrain and use it to your advantage. Paying attention can turn a 0 deer trip into a "wait till 10 till they are all gone" trip
no more
Happy hunting
Old 08-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Spike

I think one of the best bow hunting tips I ever got was from the guy who introduced me to bowhunting...

PATIENCE!!!!!!

This coming season will be my fifth season hunting with a bow, and I have shot one arrow in those five seasons. (Not counting practicing!). One arrow, one deer on the wall in five years. I have had deer all around me several times, but an ethical shot never presented itself- and if you're going to bowhunt i think you have to be ok with watching a deer walk away because you couldn't get a good shot.

So, patience with a shot presenting itself while your in the field is huge. But also, patience in your practices is very important too. I would say to any new bowhunter- don't get discouraged because you're not hitting bullseyes at 40 yards. Be patient in your practicing, and you'll get there eventually. Don't rush into flinging an arrow. Be very intentional about your stance and shot sequence, and you'll be fine when a shot presents itself. Patience, patience, patience!!!

PATIENCE=PERFECTION!
Old 08-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Spike

always bring an xtra pair of socks and gloves. and don't forget a small first aid kit, and a fire starter. You never know when you will need it.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you after big bucks. Hunt where big bucks are.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by live2Draw
When i hunt a given area, i always pay attention to what way the wind is blowing in order for it to be effective. I don't hunt climbing stands, so mobility is limited. But often times, if the wind shifts and ruins one stand, depending on the terrain and the way the wind moves across the earth, you might still have a decent outing 20 yards away. Also use this advantage to disperse your scent bottles, I use a tampon in a film canister, and refrigerate them when not in use. I have had deer come from odd directions down wind of me, and put them in their mouths.
moral of the story, learn how the wind moves around your terrain and use it to your advantage. Paying attention can turn a 0 deer trip into a "wait till 10 till they are all gone" trip
no more
Happy hunting
I thought you were goin in a different direction when i saw tampons in your post!! LOL I know guys who swear by using their gfs/wifes used feminine products. my buddy had video of a big buck licking one and making a scrape under a used tampon he hung in a tree!! Dont everyone go rummaging through womens rest rooms now come october. LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.