Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Do you let this buck walk this year? >

Do you let this buck walk this year?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you let this buck walk this year?

Old 08-26-2009, 06:23 AM
Spike

Default Do you let this buck walk this year?

Guys, i know from past pics this boy is 3 1/2 years old. He could use a year to gain more mass and antler size. We practice letting the young ones go, however our nieghbors will not. The issue is do we let him walk and take our chances or if we get an oppurtunity take him? What would you do?
Attached Thumbnails Do you let this buck walk this year?-mdgc0011.jpg   Do you let this buck walk this year?-mdgc0012.jpg  
Old 08-26-2009, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I can't tell you how to practice management on your property, but that guy doesn't get a pass from me anywhere I hunt.

Good luck with whichever route you choose.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Hell no. He's bigger than anything I've seen in over 250 sits.

That's a (gross) 125" buck.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

Depends on what state I'm hunting and how he compares to the deer in the area.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say yes unless there is another deer on your property that is better than him this year.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

if i thought my neighbors would shoot him if they get the opportunity, id shoot him. great deer. but, its your place and your goals for your deer. Good luck!
Old 08-26-2009, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

All up to you. My thing use to be if he around P&Y he is going down. If neighbors have a good chance at getting him and you honestly have bigger deer then let him walk. Instead of being part of the problem you can let him walk and take your chances. I personally think people are getting to hyped up about big mature deer. You watch these shows and people see huge ones being dropped on thousands of intensively managed farms with pristine food plots. B.S! Part of hunting to me is the feeling of a great shot and a great hunt regardless of antler size. Being a bowhunter and waiting for a monster, boy you are really limiting your chance of success as far as ever killing anything. Everyone wants a huge mature buck of a lifetime but unless like I said you are on huge managed property or where all your neighbors are on the same page with young ones walk it may be a long wait. With that said, it's all about what you think.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

i'd arrow him if i had the chance.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 09_bobcat
if i thought my neighbors would shoot him if they get the opportunity, id shoot him. great deer. but, its your place and your goals for your deer. Good luck!
I love that philosophy, worry more about the other guy than you own hunting.

He's for sure P&Y this year, but there is no doubt he is going to get bigger. Tough call on the shooting, if he comes by close, gives you a good shot, then you'll be in a bit of a pickle!
Old 08-26-2009, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

dead buck walking!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.