Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Do you let this buck walk this year? >

Do you let this buck walk this year?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you let this buck walk this year?

Old 08-27-2009, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

If you're in the area where you don't have hunting pressure and he will have a great chance to make it till next year, LET HIM WALK! He is really good but next year he will be awesome.... But like I said if you think someone else is going to wack him then take the shot.

Good Luck with whatever choice you make....
AJ
Old 08-27-2009, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

id take him down in a heart beat
Old 08-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

He would have a ROCKET threw his lungs around any of my stands. Depends on the state your hunting I guess!
Old 08-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

If this deer walked with-in range of me in my home state of NJ I would take him, but on our leases in Illinois he walks.

Only you can make the judgement of taking him or not, be happy either way
Old 08-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Spike

Nope, I don't let anything walk as I hunt for meat. I try to focus on does though.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

If he were on my property he would get a pass. I would rather take a chance and him making it thru the season then to take him and wonder what he could've been.

A similar thing happened to me last year. I got a great two year old on camera last year that had 12 scoreable points. 10pt mainframe with split g-2's. I probably had close to 40 pics of him. If he would've made it thru a season or two he would've been a giant! My father-in-law hunts the same property and shot him in late Oct. I actually got a pic of him the afternoon he shot him. Gross scored 126" I was sad to see him taken, but It was a trophy to him.

Sometimes you just have to take chances. Some turn out bad and some turn out good.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would most likely let him walk.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt a special place so I would let him walk. Now if it is late Decmeber and I have a tag to fill he is crushed but I would let him pass until then.......
Old 08-27-2009, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

It depends on what I've been seeing. I passed up a buck like that last year and didn't get one bigger in range all year after that. I don't regret it though.

If I'd seen bigger ones then I might, but I think I would try to hold off as best I could.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by OntElk
At the end of the gun week the 2 camps had does and small bucks hanging and every once in awhile a mature buck got shot. The QDM camp had 6 guys and would end up with 4-6 mature bucks hanging.
There's a reason them guys are shooting 4 to 5 mature bucks a year, their letting the younger ones walk. The brown Its down guys your reffering too also shoot more then just spikes and small racked bucks. Deer drives do wonders, happens allot around my area. There's at least 3 times the younger bucks then older mature bucks, taking the older ones out won't effect anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.