HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Do you let this buck walk this year? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/301701-do-you-let-buck-walk-year.html)

PABUCKTRACKER 08-27-2009 06:47 AM

If you're in the area where you don't have hunting pressure and he will have a great chance to make it till next year, LET HIM WALK! He is really good but next year he will be awesome.... But like I said if you think someone else is going to wack him then take the shot.

Good Luck with whatever choice you make....
AJ

killzonearchery 08-27-2009 10:03 AM

id take him down in a heart beat

twildasin 08-27-2009 10:20 AM

He would have a ROCKET threw his lungs around any of my stands. Depends on the state your hunting I guess!

BOWHUNTERCOP 08-27-2009 10:29 AM

If this deer walked with-in range of me in my home state of NJ I would take him, but on our leases in Illinois he walks.

Only you can make the judgement of taking him or not, be happy either way

rupypug 08-27-2009 11:42 AM

Nope, I don't let anything walk as I hunt for meat. I try to focus on does though.

buckeyehntr5 08-27-2009 11:46 AM

If he were on my property he would get a pass. I would rather take a chance and him making it thru the season then to take him and wonder what he could've been.

A similar thing happened to me last year. I got a great two year old on camera last year that had 12 scoreable points. 10pt mainframe with split g-2's. I probably had close to 40 pics of him. If he would've made it thru a season or two he would've been a giant! My father-in-law hunts the same property and shot him in late Oct. I actually got a pic of him the afternoon he shot him. Gross scored 126" I was sad to see him taken, but It was a trophy to him.

Sometimes you just have to take chances. Some turn out bad and some turn out good.

excalibur43 08-27-2009 02:33 PM

I would most likely let him walk.

mahoningbuck 08-27-2009 04:06 PM

I hunt a special place so I would let him walk. Now if it is late Decmeber and I have a tag to fill he is crushed but I would let him pass until then.......

mulvany 08-27-2009 05:36 PM

It depends on what I've been seeing. I passed up a buck like that last year and didn't get one bigger in range all year after that. I don't regret it though.

If I'd seen bigger ones then I might, but I think I would try to hold off as best I could.

Schultzy 08-27-2009 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by OntElk (Post 3421579)
At the end of the gun week the 2 camps had does and small bucks hanging and every once in awhile a mature buck got shot. The QDM camp had 6 guys and would end up with 4-6 mature bucks hanging.

There's a reason them guys are shooting 4 to 5 mature bucks a year, their letting the younger ones walk. The brown Its down guys your reffering too also shoot more then just spikes and small racked bucks. Deer drives do wonders, happens allot around my area. There's at least 3 times the younger bucks then older mature bucks, taking the older ones out won't effect anything.

Royalslammer 08-28-2009 06:23 AM

IMHO...you gotta do what you feel is right....its a hard decision to make that call seeing him on camera....when your on stand and he comes walking in that to me is the best time to say yes or no...if your heart speeds up and you get short of breath..kill him!...if not....enjoy just seeing him...either way great looking deer!

turkeygirl2 08-28-2009 07:23 AM

I wouldn't think twice if he walked under my stand! That'd be a great deer in my area!

WhitBri 08-28-2009 08:35 AM

As much as I love commenting on these types of posts I don't agree with them. What deer you harvest is a very personal decision and no one else should make your mind up for you. No one should ever judge another hunter by what he decides to kill only the ethics and morals he uses while doing so. Personally my goals are higher for numerous reasons, I'm blessed to live in Iowa and have lots of big deer in the area. Every year I've bowhunted I've seen a deer that would gross atleast 140-150 from stand. Havn't killed one every year, but see them. So I wait for mr. big. But I've never looked down upon a hunter who shoots the small ones even if he hunts ground neighboring what I hunt. To each his own.

BIGBUCK17 08-28-2009 11:31 AM

Hell no man. That would be a great deer to shoot with a bow.