Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Hunting for meat.. >

Hunting for meat..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting for meat..

Old 08-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Sorry to hear about the job. I hunt for meat and nothing more. dont get me wrong, I will wait on a nice buck, but if one doesnt present himself, Ill take a last day scrub buck in a second. We eat nothing but deer and only buy beef when we run out. I will take three deer a year, regardless. I guess Im part of the odd crowd, I have a wife that does not like beef and loves deer. Dont get me wrong, I like big racks,(yes pun intended) but that is not my ultimate goal.

Good luck on the job search.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Spike

I have always been a meat hunter, and I too, always felt that a buck was just a added bonus. I lost my job a little over a year ago after a altercation with a supervisor. Since then I have been lucky to find a corrections job, but took a huge pay cut. We are making it just fine and in fact just got my internet hooked up for the first time. However, I plan on taking as many does this year as I can to help out with the grocery shopping. In Kentucky we can take as many does as we want as long as we keep buying the bonus permits. I will be buying several of those at the beginning of season since I have many many does on all the properties that I hunt.

Good luck this hunting season and good luck with the job hunt too. I wish you and your family the best of luck.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have always been a meat hunter as well.. With not alot of deer to pick from and tagging 1 buck a year in this area any antlered deer will do. Although I am hoping to be heading down state to a special archery zone which will allow me to shoot as many does as I can.. This year the deer hunting might be a bit different as I got lucky and will be hunting for a moose this fall..
Old 08-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Typical Buck

Im not unemployed yet (my billing center is being phased out), but I still dont find myself being a MEAT hunter for that reason, I am a MEAT hunter because I love the healthy meat I can have in the freezer and on the table. I also will do my best to donate a deer to the FHFH program here in Indiana every year. Im fortunate enough to be able to hunt and live like I do, and Im sure others would enjoy the meat for their family. Im having venison steaks tonite actually.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I enjoy meat a lot. Got boys that enoy it as much or more. Works not like it used to be, times are hard. What do I do? Went and killed a couple wild hogs and they taste very good!

I'm a meat hunter and very proud of it.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Wub
Typical Buck

I'm all about the meat. I keep track of how much each pound costs me too. After license, tag, and butcher fee (I haven't tackled processing them myself yet) I generally have an average of about $2.00 - $2.50 a pound, providing I tag two deer. If I tag more, the average cost per pound drops some. If my arrow is ruined during the hunt the average cost goes up some, etc... My wife will eat it but she still prefers beef. Because of this I normally only get 2 or 3 deer a year. If I can get her to switch to venison completely, I would probably try to tag 4 deer each season.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Spike

I too am a meat hunter. well sort of. I've only been hunting now for 7 years and have yet to seal the deal with either a buck or doe (not from lack of trying) so that only goes to show ya, I'm really not out there just to harvest some meat. although it would be nice to actually put one down, I'll still be out there every day that i can. Hunting for Meat.

Sorry about your job man. Good luck this year.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:27 PM
Spike

"bows are for does" is my motto!
Old 08-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I enjoy deer hunting very much. My family also loves the meat. I believe the last time I bought beef at a store was in 2001. It is also healthier and better for you anyways. Good luck and good eating.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good job, bad job, no job, I'm shooting as many does as I can each & every year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.