HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   broadhead v pratice point (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/301690-broadhead-v-pratice-point.html)

corey012778 08-25-2009 10:40 PM

broadhead v pratice point

I was shooting my bow. and notices an drop between the practice points and broadheads. the broadheads where around 5 inches lower then the practice points. as an muzzleloader guy. I feel that was not right. shots where around 10 yrd due to I was sighting in an new sight.

drockw 08-25-2009 11:35 PM

It sounds like you either need to lower your nocking point or raise your rest a bit depending on where it currently is. Once you move it you will have to adjust your sights but your bh's and fp's should be closer to impacting the same. Keep making small adjustments until they impact the same.

nchawkeye 08-26-2009 03:16 AM

Yep...Initial setup gets you "close" but when you release a bow string things happen, so you have to make adjustments for when the arrow leaves the string...

Move the nock down about 1/16-1/32 inch, shoot both and see if they are closer...

GMMAT 08-26-2009 04:11 AM

Why should he move his mocking point.....if his FPs are accurate? If his nocking point is off.....wouldn't they be off with FP's, too?

bigcountry 08-26-2009 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by GMMAT (Post 3420069)
Why should he move his mocking point.....if his FPs are accurate? If his nocking point is off.....wouldn't they be off with FP's, too?

Jeff, when you have a field point, your feathers are doing most of the guiding and correcting. When you put a BH on, now you have introduced another planing varible.

There is no limit to accuracy.

RIStrutStopper 08-26-2009 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by GMMAT (Post 3420069)

Not necessarily. Thats part of tuning the bow. Small adjustments until both hit the same point, then move your pin to bring the groups to the center of the target. Download a copy of Easton's Tuning Guide, there's a graphic that recommends what to change depending on where broadheads hit in relation to field points.

DannyD 08-26-2009 05:05 AM

Is the weight of the practice point the same as the weight of the broadhead?

live2Draw 08-26-2009 05:20 AM

at 10 yards your arrow should still be on the rise, the weight shouldnt matter much, unless there is like a 50gr difference, no?

valor10 08-26-2009 05:23 AM

It sounds like you either need to lower your nocking point or raise your rest a bit depending on where it currently is.
Good advice, provided your field points are grouping good, and your broadheads are grouping good. If your broadheads won't group, but your field points do, you need to make sure your bow is tuned correctly, and your using the right arrows (length and spine). Sure like how those 50 cals sight in though!

jklink 08-26-2009 06:37 AM

I recommend using what you will be hunting with always. then you dont have to worry about if your hunting arrow will fly differrent from your practice arrow. some broadheads come with practice blades that allow for this without dulling out the hunting blades. you may say the cost of an extra set of broadheads arn't worth it. well... you miss a big buck and that extra $30 the next year is well worth it.