Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
broadhead v pratice point >

broadhead v pratice point

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

broadhead v pratice point

Old 08-25-2009, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default broadhead v pratice point

I was shooting my bow. and notices an drop between the practice points and broadheads. the broadheads where around 5 inches lower then the practice points. as an muzzleloader guy. I feel that was not right. shots where around 10 yrd due to I was sighting in an new sight.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds like you either need to lower your nocking point or raise your rest a bit depending on where it currently is. Once you move it you will have to adjust your sights but your bh's and fp's should be closer to impacting the same. Keep making small adjustments until they impact the same.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep...Initial setup gets you "close" but when you release a bow string things happen, so you have to make adjustments for when the arrow leaves the string...

Move the nock down about 1/16-1/32 inch, shoot both and see if they are closer...
Old 08-26-2009, 04:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Why should he move his mocking point.....if his FPs are accurate? If his nocking point is off.....wouldn't they be off with FP's, too?
Old 08-26-2009, 04:57 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by GMMAT
Why should he move his mocking point.....if his FPs are accurate? If his nocking point is off.....wouldn't they be off with FP's, too?
Jeff, when you have a field point, your feathers are doing most of the guiding and correcting. When you put a BH on, now you have introduced another planing varible.

There is no limit to accuracy.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GMMAT
Not necessarily. Thats part of tuning the bow. Small adjustments until both hit the same point, then move your pin to bring the groups to the center of the target. Download a copy of Easton's Tuning Guide, there's a graphic that recommends what to change depending on where broadheads hit in relation to field points.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is the weight of the practice point the same as the weight of the broadhead?
Old 08-26-2009, 05:20 AM
Fork Horn

at 10 yards your arrow should still be on the rise, the weight shouldnt matter much, unless there is like a 50gr difference, no?
Old 08-26-2009, 05:23 AM
Typical Buck

It sounds like you either need to lower your nocking point or raise your rest a bit depending on where it currently is.
Good advice, provided your field points are grouping good, and your broadheads are grouping good. If your broadheads won't group, but your field points do, you need to make sure your bow is tuned correctly, and your using the right arrows (length and spine). Sure like how those 50 cals sight in though!
Old 08-26-2009, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

I recommend using what you will be hunting with always. then you dont have to worry about if your hunting arrow will fly differrent from your practice arrow. some broadheads come with practice blades that allow for this without dulling out the hunting blades. you may say the cost of an extra set of broadheads arn't worth it. well... you miss a big buck and that extra $30 the next year is well worth it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.