HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Opinions wanted on tree stand height and shot window (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/301681-opinions-wanted-tree-stand-height-shot-window.html)

sr77 08-25-2009 07:26 PM

Opinions wanted on tree stand height and shot window

Was curious on some of your opinions as to what height do you think your shot window (angle into vitals) on a deer drastically starts to decline for shot under 10 yds, The reason I am asking is because I have a stand that I was busted in once last year by a doe who picked me off from 50 yds. away, later in season, lack of cover etc. Stand was about 18-20 ft. off the ground. This year, I kept it in the same tree as it is a great spot and the best tree in the area but moved it up to 25 or so ft. into a fork with more branches around. Little concerned as I shot a few deer including my buck from last year from this set, one doe was at 6 yds. I am worried about steep shots from this height at closer ranges. Just curious on how many of you hunt this height and have you noticed double lung shot being an issue at closer distances.

Shane

Rhody Hunter 08-26-2009 01:51 AM

i usually go 20 - 25 up . sounds like a better set up to be in fork and better hidden.
you got busted being lower. I don't think they will spot you as easy at the higher height.
double lungs are not a problem. aim for the exit hole and practice and you will be fine

The Outdoorsman 08-26-2009 05:04 AM

I don’t go higher than 20 feet. As for the angle where its too steep or not optimal for a 10 yd shot, I cant answer that but I will say that you can effectively kill a deer at 10 yds being 20 ft in the tree. As for being busted, if at all possible, try to get in a tree that’s as wide or wider than you. If you cant, that’s fine, because this is what I find very important, cover behind you. For example, a tree behind you with a lot of branches that go out wider than your body width. This helps break up your outline. A cedar tree or two is great for this.

live2Draw 08-26-2009 05:25 AM

most my stands are 12 ft tall or so, and the trees are wider than me, as well as having good cover all around me in brush form. I am very rarely busted. and its generally because i am not holding still or something along those lines

GMMAT 08-26-2009 05:41 AM

Movement is what'll get you busted over anything else (IMO). I've had deer within 15yds of me on the ground that didn't peg me.

Good back cover is the main stand placement key.

BvrHunter 08-26-2009 05:46 AM

I agree with the outdoors man, your cover when in a tree is what really matters more than height. If you look like a bump on log its not gonna matter if your 10,15,or 20 feet your just gonna stand out to anything walking by unless there head is to the ground the entire time. And its not always possible to find the right tree in the ideal spot, we all know that! But choosing cover when possible is better than being 25 feet in a tree IMO... I like to be right between 17 and 20. Do some early scouting and pick out some possible stands, cut some limbs when necessary and be prepared for when ole big boy walks by.......Good luck this up coming season!!

sr77 08-26-2009 07:10 AM

Thanks for some of the replys. Cover is my main concern, unfortunately in this particular location there are just a bunch of skinny cherry trees with no branches for cover. I actuallt set up off a trail in one of the only two poplar trees up there. I will see how it goes, can always adjust if I have to.

Shane

HuntingBry 08-26-2009 07:14 AM

I agree with what most of the others have said. Moving up to 25' isn't much of an advantage, but having the additional cover of the splits and branches is a big advantage. As far as the concern over the angle being steeper, as long as you are not getting busted you can wait until they move further away from the tree for a better shot. Can't do that if they bust you.