HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Thermacell works???? worthwhile??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/301633-thermacell-works-worthwhile.html)

firewalker3373 08-25-2009 11:37 AM

Thermacell works???? worthwhile???

Any opinions out there? thinking of getting one for early season hunting. starts in a few weeks here in WI.

bigangrychicken 08-25-2009 12:16 PM

works great. They make a dirt-scented pad, as well---great for cover scent.

NJ/PAbwhunter 08-25-2009 12:26 PM

In the early season here in Nj we can be out there in mid September... The skeeters are really bad and the Thermacell keeps them away from me. Takes about 10 minutes from the time I light it until they are gone.
DW

triggertrav 08-25-2009 12:33 PM

but, do you still see deer with it on?

GMMAT 08-25-2009 12:34 PM

Does the dirt scent pad also repel insects?

densfbs 08-25-2009 12:42 PM

I do not have experience with the dirt scented pads but I do know the regular ones work great and yes I have seen deer as well as shot deer with it running. Would not leave home without one for any outdoor activity including hunting.

mohunter82 08-25-2009 12:45 PM

I asked this question last year. and didnt get one negative reponse about it. ran out and got one. glad i did too.

bigcountry 08-25-2009 12:52 PM

All, I know is I hunt blackwater swamp in MD. Its the nastiest swamp north of a Lousiana Bayou. Two years ago, I littlerly thought my buddy needed to go the hospital. His whole head was swelled up, and arms. I bet he had 500 bites on him. He didn't see on sika because of all the arm flinging he did fighting off the bugs. I used pure deet and it ate the face of my ironman watch. And I even got ate up. My other buddy did't have one bite and had a thermalcell. From now on, I don't go into that swamp in October without one.

I won't use one in your regular hardwoods hunting, but if its a choice between being miserable and scenting deer. I will take scenting deer anyday. We hunt for fun.

nchawkeye 08-25-2009 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by bigcountry (Post 3419401)
All, I know is I hunt blackwater swamp in MD. Its the nastiest swamp north of a Lousiana Bayou. Two years ago, I littlerly thought my buddy needed to go the hospital. His whole head was swelled up, and arms. I bet he had 500 bites on him. He didn't see on sika because of all the arm flinging he did fighting off the bugs. I used pure deet and it ate the face of my ironman watch. And I even got ate up. My other buddy did't have one bite and had a thermalcell. From now on, I don't go into that swamp in October without one.

I won't use one in your regular hardwoods hunting, but if its a choice between being miserable and scenting deer. I will take scenting deer anyday. We hunt for fun.

Ever heard of the Great Dismal Swamp???

Mine is strapped to my climber, don't hunt without it and yes, I kill deer with it on...

Todd Mcduffie 08-25-2009 01:57 PM

awesome it work!

110% it works