Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Buying my First Bow >

Buying my First Bow

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buying my First Bow

Old 08-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Spike

Default Buying my First Bow

Hey guys you might have seen me post about how to get into the sport of hunting and got some advice. Luckily my brother and dad use to have some compound bows from when they use to hunt and they let me borrow them to practice with and to see if I would like the sport and I have to say shooting a bow is just plain awesome.

Anyways being that my father and brother hunted a good 20 years ago or so their gear is rather old, so I was hoping you guys here could give me some advice on bow brands to look at and gear that is a must have for bow hunting.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

Im just getting back into bowhunting myself and am also looking to purchase a new bow. I have been shooting alot of new bows from mathews and bowtech which are some high end bows. Hoyt is highend also but I cant find a ddealer near me. My last bow was 10yrs old and you wont believe how much BETTER bows are these days. What you think is awesome now will prolly blow your mind when you shoot some new bows!!! Theyll be guys recommend theyre brands over all else but the only way to pick a new bow is to go to a proshop and shoot alot of diff. bows and pic the one thats right for you. Finding your proper draw lenght will make your shooting better also. I started thread on this forum after shooting different bows posting my reviews. You should read it, but dont pick a bow based on it or anyone elses opinion. Shoot them all and use your own judgement. Good luck!
Old 08-23-2009, 07:36 PM
Typical Buck

as far as companies go here are some to look into for bows....

High country
quest
mathews
bowtech
martin
hoyt
browning
jennings
ross
diamond
elite
pse......thats all i can think of right now.

but the best thing you could do is find a local archery pro shop and shoot some of the bows they have to see what you like the most.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:27 AM
Typical Buck

first things first. decide how much you want to spend. Then go to a archery shop and shoot every bow in that price range. Buy the one that feels the best.

If you don't want to drop a big load on a bow, DO NOT SHOOT THE TOP SHELF BOWS!!!!!! I made that mistake and walked out a grand lighter in the wallet, but the Bowtech Tribute was a MACHINE!!!!

If you do want to try the top shelf brands, look for an Athens dealer. It's a newer company and their bows are sweeeeeet! http://athensarchery.com/bows.html has a dealer locator. type your zip in the box and it'll tell you the closest dealer.

Good luck deciding!!! LOTS of good bows out there these days!
Old 08-24-2009, 06:00 AM
Spike

I see guys thanks for the tips. unfortunately for me I do not have anywhere near me that sells bows so I was looking more to buy online, however I guess I will have to do a bit a driving to a few different towns to see if I can find such a shop.

Two more questions. If I pull the string back with my right hand and hold the bow with my left, am I looking for a right handed bow, or left handed bow?

Also I have seen on TV shows guys saying you have to buy additional gear for bows to make them more quiet, if I was to find a bow shop would they be able to help me out on that kind of stuff?