Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What do you guys look for now? >

What do you guys look for now?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you guys look for now?

Old 08-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What do you guys look for now?

what do you guys look for this time of year??..in terms of scouting for a hunting spot...or a place for a camera?? trails, food sources, water sources, etc...what is on the top of your list to be looking for while in the woods??
Old 08-23-2009, 09:41 AM
Spike

all varieties of acorns
Old 08-23-2009, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm always looking for bedding area's , last season's rubs, deer dropings and fresh scrapes.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

What the deer are doing now, they will not be doing when my deer season opens in early October. Right now they are hanging out in the fields in the middle of the day. That stops about 3-4 week of Sept when the velvet comes off.

As listed above, I like to look for acorn flats and last years rubs and scrapes. Its a good time to hang stands too (despite the heat) in those places because the deer often are not using them yet (at least not if you have a high concentration of agricultural fields in your area).
Old 08-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Spike

Does. Find the does, stay with them and you will find the bucks. SRM
Old 08-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I look for good tracts, were they might be eating or were they are goin to travel the most
Old 08-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you hunt the same property year after year you are always making adjustments. I have my early season stands and my rut stands. After several years of watching deer and exploring during turkey season I think we have our deer down. We normally do most of our scouting during turkey season as well as move any stands that need moved. I dont like to get into the woods any time before August until the opener, the least amount of disturbance the better IMO. I really have to hand it to my brother in law because he works his butt off to make sure thngs are always ready to go. One down fall to getting things done in the spring is.......YOU NEVER KNOW WHO IS IN THERE IN THE SUMMER. Last year I went to my stand opening morning and the entire bottom steps were taken and I could not hunt. I did get a doe from the ground but that is another story. I should also add, you should always check your stands to make sure they are up to par with all the nuts and bolts tightened. Every time I go to a stand I make sure things are operating. I got off the point but I like to ramble.............
Old 08-24-2009, 04:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I look for a place that is setup off a well used trail about 20 yards off the trail. The trails usually lead to a feeding source. This time of the year the deer are hitting food sources such as cornfields, clover fields, beans, etc. this putting the deer on out side edges of the woods usually.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not doing much scouting this time of year. I do most of my scounting in Feb and March with last years sign was fresh. The deer are on a summer feeding pattern, which I might only be able to count on for the first week or so of the season.

This time of year I am doing a lot of glassing for a distance, just taking inventory of what bucks are there. As far as trail camera locations, I leave them on food sources I see the deer using heavily as well as on trails leading to known bedding areas. Again, just taking inventory.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Terrain features.

I think we're all pretty adept at setting stands in good spots. It doesn't take a rocket scientist (or a world-class hunter) to know that a particular spot looks good for whitetails.

What makes some more successful than others (among many other things) is knowing when to hunt those spots and when to stay clear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.