Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How high do you hunt? >

How high do you hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How high do you hunt?

Old 08-25-2009, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I let the foliage dictate how high I can go. For the most part its 20ft. I really dont fell comfortable less then that. But if the area looks good I'll do what I need to.I'll zip tie extra limbs for cover if Im below my comfort zone.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote=gplant. if the area looks good I'll do what I need to.I'll zip tie extra limbs for cover if Im below my comfort zone.[/quote]

Old 08-26-2009, 11:52 AM
Spike

I hunt wherever the cover is and a place that they cannot skyline me. Using the tree saddle helps alot as I can hunt behind the tree.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

15-20 feet is my range
Old 08-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by supaflav
How high do you hunt?
Well, I guess that depends on the amount you smoke before you hunt! Lol, just kidding.

I hunt in West TX, so there are very few trees to get "high" above the deer's head. On our 4,000 acres, there are 3 trees that are suitable for treestands. We put them around 15/16 feet. I don't think the deer are used to looking up around here because they don't have to- there is nothing taller than them!

I think the height you put your stand depends on where you are hunting. I've hunted in Alabama where the trees are huge and straight (any tree is huge to me I guess). They had their stands at 20-25 feet, which scared me. I've flown lower than that. I think if there is a tree suitable, you should get up high enough that a deer will have a hard time seeing you if he does look up, and also being higher helps to dilute your scent/carry it away more effectively without getting busted.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Typical Buck

20 feet. That's what I practice, so every thing else doesn't matter.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to go 18-22'...but it just depends. I have better success in that range than I do lower, where I hunt.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Spike

Well from my exsperiences spotting deer from stands I prolly go off course from alot of people on the thread. Granted I grew up in WI where trees outnumber the 100+ acre fields, Now I live in MO. When cattle country dictates 90%+ open fields. In our area anyway. (North central, nearly on IA/MO border).
Anyway back to my point of veiw. When I was youger I sat and spoted from 30+ ft down to 10 ft, and attempted stalking. I belive I have been closer, and busted less on a 10 ft high pine branch we would "roost" on than 25+ over a prime water hole in good cover.
And since I have been in MO I have been closer to deer on ground (15 yds max other nite sitting on a doe and fawn for 45 mins. Wind was truely favorable.
So I placed my stand about 10-12 ft off the ground today. Openning day we'll see if my 10 pts hopes get busted. This buck, with 3 does. I was able to get within 40 yds on ground same nite as the doe/fawn pair.
Prior to gun season the deer seem, to what I feel, exstremely relaxed. After Gun season opens though the Uni style truck hunters get em jumpy. Maybe its luck, maybe the deer here are less skittish than ole WI deer. Either way time will tell since the bow doesn't have the range the 06 does.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Spike

ive always hunted no higher than ifteen feet and im always successfull but i will say no one hunting spot is the same.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

My family of Bowhunters-born raised N.W. Ill. & Me now in N.E. Iowa have Bowhunted MAny years-me going on 53 this year. I took 2 Whitetails at 12 feet last year, 1 at 10 the year b/4 & another at 15 feet. Brother killed nice Buck at 12 last year.
We never worry after we get above 10 feet & we have actually killed several deer at 7-8 feet out of natural tree limb stands in years past.
I have had many Bucks & yearlings pass my stands that I did not shoot at from 15 yds & less. I had one small Buck pass my stand last year at 5 yds & I filmed him & another small Buck fight at 25 yds & my stand is barley 12 feet.
We just move slow when we spot a Deer & my brother & I shoot sitting down. No need to stand up. I've Bowhunted in the South & I am actually uncomforatable at that 20' Mark or more, but I've killed deer there to. I Bowhunt hogs in Tx. & Ok. with about 15 or so killed out of 15' ladder stands. I guess it's what you feel comfortable with. OH, ALL DEER LOOK UP even in ILLINOIS & IOWA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.