Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How high do you hunt? >

How high do you hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How high do you hunt?

Old 08-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Spike

I like to get around the 20 ft mark. It depends on the cover. Sometimes I get up much higher than that. My sons laugh and ask if I want a parachute. Deer absoultly will look up. Especially if you make the slightest noise or move when you should not. I can't count the times they have busted me drawing back my bow thru the years. Not that I am complaining as that is one of the things I love about being a bowhunter. The deer have a chance.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I go up around 25 feet and thats about as high as ill go
Old 08-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Typical Buck

For me, it depends on the terrain and where the deer will be coming in. Like, if im on level ground I might not be even 10ft high. I get up near 20ft on hillsides where deer can come out above me and anything lower could put me almost eye level with the deer. I get really high when Im rifle hunting though, usually because its later in the year and the cover is fading away. Plus the shot angle isnt as critical as is with my bow. I never get too high though because I might shoot my foot off or fall out of my stand!
Old 08-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Anthony T.
For me, it depends on the terrain and where the deer will be coming in. Like, if im on level ground I might not be even 10ft high. I get up near 20ft on hillsides where deer can come out above me and anything lower could put me almost eye level with the deer. I get really high when Im rifle hunting though, usually because its later in the year and the cover is fading away. Plus the shot angle isnt as critical as is with my bow. I never get too high though because I might shoot my foot off or fall out of my stand!
It doesnt take very much height to severely injure a person Not patronizing you or anything. Just a fact that depending on the angle of the fall, 6' could critically wound someone.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm usually around 15. It all depends on the situation. I don't usually go any higher than I need to.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the 20 foot mark as well
Old 08-24-2009, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by chris2216
I like to get around the 20 ft mark. It depends on the cover. Sometimes I get up much higher than that. My sons laugh and ask if I want a parachute. Deer absoultly will look up. Especially if you make the slightest noise or move when you should not. I can't count the times they have busted me drawing back my bow thru the years. Not that I am complaining as that is one of the things I love about being a bowhunter. The deer have a chance.
Yeah, I can't remember a deer ever looking up at me when I first started deer hunting in the early 70's, but now they will. I think they have learned it over the years.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my climber, I have been known to have a 30' rope tugging at me on the way up. With hang ons, I like 18-20' usually, as I can pick a better tree, not just a straight tree, and have more cover. As the season gets later and the leaves are gone, I like to get way up in the climber.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

anywhere from 15-20"... sometimes a bit higher w/ climber depending on cover.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I usually go 15-20' from ground to platform. I'll go 25' if I have to, but any higher than that and I get a bit uncomfortable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.