Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How high do you hunt? >

How high do you hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How high do you hunt?

Old 08-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

Does anyone cut branches off of oaks and stick them through pvc pipe around their stand to create cover, I am going to try that this year, althogh the leaves will die quickly they usually hang on for a long time.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

All of are stands are 12 foot and we have never been spotted by deer, have them walk right under like no body there. Its call sit and be very still , less movement is less noise and that means less chance they will look up
Old 08-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MOhunter46
This is one of my weaknesses. Im really scared of heights. Every year i tell myself that ill hang a stand at least 20 feet but i just cant do it. 15 feet is about has high as i can go.
No shame in that Better off to be confident and feel comfortable in the tree and not have the anxiety going when the deer comes in!

I like to usually get to the first layer of foliage as others have said already. When I first started climbing I would go way beyond that just to do it I guess, and trial and error has allowed me to figure out that most of the time that inhibits your shot distance by quite a bit! My bow rope is 30' long, and there have been many times that ive been dragging a bow up the tree lol! But usually only if it helps me to be able to be more efficient in that area.

We just built 2 16' ladder stands, and have about 4 more that are 15' as well.

IMO you CAN get too high, but if you would've asked me that 4-5yrs ago, I would have argued differently

I feel like when you are inexperienced, or less comfortable with deer on you, being higher is worth it, but now id rather just have better distance and shooting lanes.

Derek
Old 08-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by earnabuck
Does anyone cut branches off of oaks and stick them through pvc pipe around their stand to create cover, I am going to try that this year, althogh the leaves will die quickly they usually hang on for a long time.
Nothing better than acting like a tree Many times when i climb and have to cut limbs i will jam them in the platform of my climber and try to brush it up a little bit. Sometimes its not worth the trouble though...

Derek
Old 08-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by supaflav
I know some guys that went on a bowhunt in Illinois & their guide had them in 12 or 15 foot stands. This kinda freaked them out because down here in the deep south, if your not 20 ft or higher, then you will probably get busted. Our deer walk around looking up in the trees. How high do you hunt?

If that were the case, then I'd probably sit on the ground in a lawn chair.

That said though, I have found that with adequate cover and minding the wind, 12 to 16 feet is a nice height at which you can easily still get both lungs in to about 5-6 yards. No matter how high you go... if you have no cover and you can't hold still when it counts, you are going to get smoked.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

just depends.. but my ladders are all 20-22 ft. Most of my hang ons are probably 22ft.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on a lot of things, but I usually try to get at least fifteen feet off of the ground. Terrain, canopy, and the background, as others identified, figure into the equation. Sometimes in a place where I can see for a long way though, I'll get 30' or more up where the limbs begin on most pine trees where I hunt. Usually for bowhunting though, I try to limit it to 20'.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't like hunting very high.... I would say that most of my stands are between 12 - 15 ft (normally don't go any higher), but my best stand my feet are only at 5 ft. Sometimes where I hunt, there aren't a lot of options for trees... And I would rather hunt a bad tree in a good area than a great tree in a not so good area any day....
Old 08-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Spike

around 15 feet for me......
Old 08-22-2009, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

It depends on where the deer will be coming from. When i hang a set i try to look at from the deers point of view. I've found that most of my sets are no higher then 12' but then again everyone's situation is different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.