HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Which broadhead? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/301282-broadhead.html)

TeeJay 08-21-2009 04:05 PM

Which broadhead?

Well here goes. I have been shooting rage 2 blade for 3 seasons now. Had a bad experience last year so I am changeing it up. I used rocky moutain iron heads before that. Full metal jacket 400 at 58 lbs. Give me some ideas and why. Please no rage answers, because it isn't going to happen. I lost confidence in them and everyone know that you need to be 100% confident in your equipment. Thanks.

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-21-2009 04:28 PM

TeeJay, if I strictly went back to fixed blade heads (and I say that because I carry them along with my Snypers) there is a short list which I would use for now.

I still have many Muzzy 100 grain 3 blades, along with them I like Innerlocs, G5 Strikers and Slick Tricks. I've grouped them all successfully with my field points as well as Snypers and would have the utmost confidence in using them. One of these fixed heads above would be my choice when I return to the elk woods.

I also hear fantastic things about the Shuttle T's.

All the deer I've shot since 2001 have been shot with Snypers which sadly are no longer available since Rage started making 1.5" heads. (Same manuf.)

IA Buck Hunter 08-21-2009 05:30 PM

I highly recommend G5 Montecs. I only recommend them based on practice shooting, and their simplicity as I haven't shot a deer with them yet. I started using them this year after switching from Rage 2 blades. I never had a problem with the Rage heads myself, but my friend who I was hunting with shot a nice buck in the shoulder (small branch deflected his arrow) and his head snapped in half in the deers shoulder bone. It only went in about 1-2 inches. Just curious, what happened to make you want to switch?

hardcorehunter 08-21-2009 08:24 PM

In case I haven't told you, Slick tricks fly where you aim, and kill stuff.:happy0001:

GMMAT 08-22-2009 02:31 AM

They don't make the ones listed above in 175gr....lol...so I shoot snuffers. The beauty of them is....they're easy to sharpen. They're inexpensive....and they're readily available. They also have a great warranty.

I actually wanted to shoot the Montecs. I bought a couple packs.......but I found out real quick how hard it was gonna be to keep them sharp. Good looking head, though.

I swear....a lot of the fixed heads today look REALLY small.

Bowman4440 08-22-2009 08:05 AM

I have had great sucess with thunderhead 100's.
Can never go wrong with simplicity

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-22-2009 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bowman4440 (Post 3416011)
I have had great sucess with thunderhead 100's.
Can never go wrong with simplicity

Good head, used them many years ago. The only reason I didn't list them is I hate the way they assemble.

sr77 08-22-2009 09:05 AM

As far as ease of assembly, extremely sharp blades right out of the package and field point accuracy. G5 Strikers are tough to beat.

Shane

jesshodgie 08-23-2009 09:48 AM

I feel like the odd man out, I shoot Crimson Talons. I loved them until last year. For some reason, last year i shot 3 dear, and neither bled much at all! Brand new heads even. Before last year, i thought they were the cats butt. Now I'm researching other opinions as too what buy as well. I think i'm leaning towards Rages for their big cutting diameter. Who knows?
Hey TeeJay, can I ask what your bad experience was?

USarmyMP 08-23-2009 10:07 AM

Ive experimented with a lot of broadheads over the past couple years. The best broadhead I can find is The G5 montec. Last year I killed three deer, two of which were with the same broadhead. One thing I look for in broadheads though is one piece construction. Ive had too many BH blow up and leave blades behind. One really nice thing about the montecs though is that they make a practice broadhead. Which makes it really nice.