Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadheads

Old 08-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default Broadheads

Well I am going to start bowhunting this year. I cant wait taking my bow hunting course on Saturday and have been shooting the bow a little over the summer.

I have a Hoyt Intruder wit a draw lenght of 29 and a pull weight of 55 lbs. I have some carbon arrows with some field points.

I would like to know what type of broadhead I should start with to be able to mimick the shooting of the field tips. Is there a common brand thats out there. Thanks for the help in advance.

Mirza
Old 08-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

I have never been a fan of mechanical broadheads until I started shooting Rage, they fly exactly like field tips. But I recommend going to a local dealer and shot some sample broadheads and see what you think.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should be able to get just about any broadhead to fly well out of a well tuned bow. But with that being said, im a big fan of slick tricks.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

I agree w/mohunter in that all broadheads shoot well as long as your bow is tuned. Another big one is that your arrows are also tuned for the broadhead you shoot. I used to use Rage 2 blade, but have switched to Montecs and after a bit of tuning, I'm happy I switched. I just feel more confident with a fixed head as there's no moving parts to worry about, and I can resharpen them without having to buy new blades.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

In over 50 years of Bowhunting I have found a 3 blade seems to always fly good right out of the box & I would say if you use a 100 gr. head or less you will have similar flight as your field tip.
1 shoot 60#s, 29" aluminum arrow (on the heavy side) & a 3 Blade 125 gr. Rocky Mountain Ironhead.
Lots of excellent heads on the market. I am not a big fan of mechanicals though. Good Luck.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:20 AM
Spike

Just about any fixed head will be fine. I pull 60# with a 29" DL and I shoot G5 Strikers and they have treated me very well. Easy to tune and stupid sharp. As was said before though, a well tuned bow and you can shoot just about anything. I would stay away from the large cut mechanicals, I don't know how fast your bow is but you may be on the low side for some of the mechanicals out there. If mechanical is the route you want to take it's hard to beat the Rocket/Trophy Ridge Steelhead in the penetration category.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you walked into Poorguy's Archery and asked me what broadhead you should shoot with that set up and give you a list but since we're here,

Slick Trick
G5 Strikers
Muzzy 100 grain 3 blade
Innerloc

No particular order and just a start of a list but do you see a pattern?
Old 08-21-2009, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

I am a huge fan of my rage 2 blade fly exactly like my field points and to tremendous damage. I have shot quite a few deer with them and wont use anything else.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by mconwa951
I am a huge fan of my rage 2 blade fly exactly like my field points and to tremendous damage. I have shot quite a few deer with them and wont use anything else.

That's fine but your recommending a fantastic broadhead that should not be used with the OP set up. He's pulling 55 lbs and I would NOT recommend the Rage for that set up.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default g5

i have been using the G5 stryker for the past 3years and the Tekan. both are great heads. i prefer the stryker. i have not had and issue with them not flying with my feild point as far as point of impact. it is a great fix blade. they have them in 100gr and 125 gr. goodluck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.