Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Does the loop on your string effect draw length? >

Does the loop on your string effect draw length?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does the loop on your string effect draw length?

Old 08-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GMMAT
So if you change from a 1/2" D-loop to a 2" D-loop on a 28" DL bow (Hoyt)....what's the DL on that bow, now?
This is where the semantics come into play.He is referring to the draw length as a combination between shooter and bow.

But in your example,the shooter becomes overdrawn.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Then you'd think he'd have said that.....instead of making such a false, blanket statement.

Kills me the answer is SO evident to my questions.....(and SO simple to answer), yet they never get answered. that way

Have fun. This resembles mental masturbation....more than a discussion of facts.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GMMAT
Then you'd think he'd have said that.....instead of making such a false, blanket statement.

Kills me the answer is SO evident to my questions.....(and SO simple to answer), yet they never get answered. that way

Have fun. This resembles mental masturbation....more than a discussion of facts.
I answered your question,you just didn't like it.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Dominant Buck

So if you change from a 1/2" D-loop to a 2" D-loop on a 28" DL bow (Hoyt)....what's the DL on that bow, now?
You answered this? What is the DL, after the change? Answer that. Give me the bow's DL in inches.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by TFOX
My only problem I have is telling people that have never shot a bow or never shot with a loop that the loop will not affect the draw length of the bow.If they install a loop,there will have to be an adjustment to the bow,unless the bow was on the short side for them anyway.

So,I will continue to correct this for those people when they ask the question.Too many people end up overdrawn because of this advice.
Well since you can't agree to disagree then I'll have to continue to present my option as well and they can choose between your long drawn out and complicated process and my simple just customize your loop because you have the correct draw length in the first place concept.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is a matter of semantics.One will say the draw length increases by 1 1/2",another will say the BOWS draw length hasn't changed according to AMO standards.

Regardless,the shooter becomes overdrawn which is a draw length issue so draw length is affected by the loop.

I ask you,what happens if you go from not having a loop to shooting with a loop? Will the draw length of the bow need to be shortened to maintain proper form?

Anchors change,that is a given but what else?
Old 08-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jbowersox
Well since you can't agree to disagree then I'll have to continue to present my option as well and they can choose between your long drawn out and complicated process and my simple just customize your loop because you have the correct draw length in the first place concept.

They have the correct draw length if they go from shooting without a loop to shooting with a loop and make no adjustments to the bow?
Old 08-21-2009, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by TFOX
They have the correct draw length if they go from shooting without a loop to shooting with a loop and make no adjustments to the bow?
The correct draw length has nothing to do with your loop. It has to do with your body dimensions and your form. That determines your draw length. No matter how you look at it my arm is a set distance away from my vertebrae. It will not change. The distance the bow string is drawn has to be correct in order for my head which is attached to my vertebrae to stay in alignment. If the draw length of the bow is too long, my head must compensate by leaning or turning back. If it is too short, it must compensate by leaning forward. Draw length allows for you to be in perfect vertical alignment while your loop allows for your arms to be in perfect horizontal alignment.

I have a 28" draw. When I draw a bow with a perfect 28" draw my head and vertebrae will be in perfect alignment every time. I won't have to lean back or forward. If I go to 27.5" I have to lean slightly into the string. If I have a 28.5" draw I have to lean or turn slightly back. Now at 28" if I add a 2" loop to my string in order to get my arm positioning and hand anchor correct I still have a 28" draw that hasn't changed my vertical body alignment. I don't however have a 30" draw. If that is what you are saying that is going to confuse people.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Anchors change,that is a given but what else?
It certainly wouldn't be the bow's DL.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry,this reply was to jb

Pulling out the Jeff reply,just answer the question.

Can you shoot your draw length with no loop and maintain proper form.Proper shoulder load,proper bone to bone contact AND alignment,proper release arm angle, alignment and proper bow arm positioning.

If you can then you are in the minority.

I HAVE to shoot 28 1/2" to 28 3/4" without a loop to be even close.I am at 28" with one.

Last edited by TFOX; 08-21-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.