Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Does the loop on your string effect draw length? >

Does the loop on your string effect draw length?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does the loop on your string effect draw length?

Old 08-21-2009, 06:47 AM
Dominant Buck

So I can shoot a 24" bow with 4.5" d loop and reach my 28.5 inch shooter draw length and all is ok? So in other words the bows draw length doesn't matter because all can be adjusted by the loop?
Outstanding question.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

TFOX, I believe you said something earlier which I completely agree with. I think it is the only possible variable to what I am saying and that is the difference between a long axle to axle bow and and a short one. The string angles at full draw are different which will undoubtedly affect you anchor points. This could possible make for a variation in draw length, but I think that it would be minute at best.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jbowersox
So I can shoot a 24" bow with 4.5" d loop and reach my 28.5 inch shooter draw length and all is ok? So in other words the bows draw length doesn't matter because all can be adjusted by the loop?
Your hand anchor might be ok but your sight picture certainly would change. That is why you set the bow DL as close as you can to your optimum DL and then adjust to get that optimum with the d-loop.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:01 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by brucelanthier
Your hand anchor might be ok but your sight picture certainly would change. That is why you set the bow DL as close as you can to your optimum DL and then adjust to get that optimum with the d-loop.
Agreed. So you are saying there is an "optimum DL"? and that the adjustments are made with the loop and not the draw length?
Old 08-21-2009, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Agreed. So you are saying there is an "optimum DL"? and that the adjustments are made with the loop and not the draw length?
Yes and once you are at that optimum if you then change the d-loop you will have to change your DL to accomodate the new d-loop.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

Yes and once you are at that optimum if you then change the d-loop you will have to change your DL to accomodate the new d-loop.
But why would you change from the "optimum DL" if it is optimum? Why wouldn't you change your d loop instead of changing your DL? Remember if you change the draw length of the bow you are changing where the string is in relationship to your optimum sight picture and form.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

But why would you change from the "optimum DL" if it is optimum?
You wouldn't. So then there is no need to mess with the d-loop .
Old 08-21-2009, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

I see what you are saying. You again are basing draw length from the d loop and not from the string. I'm not for sure why though. It seems everyone is willing to sacrifice there sight picture and form for the proper arm position when you could have the best of both.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

But the loop does have bearing on how you set your draw length so therefore,it does affect draw length and people do change draw lengths and loop lengths all the time for different venues.

Ever seen the loops they use in speed shooting,tall and long,they adjust the bow to accomidate it.

BUT again people,this is a newby asking about how a d-loop will affect his measured draw length and gets the answer it won't.That is completely innacurate.He measured his wing span and came up with a draw length.He is going to be shooting with a loop and wanted to know does he need to subtract from it to get the correct draw length for a loop.NO,If he were shooting off the string,he would need to add to the measurement so the draw IS affected by the length of the loop because the shooter has to adjust the bow for it..

It is that simple.

When I was competitive I new the difference in an 1/8" draw length adjustment and beliueve me,I knew what was optimum.I also realize anchors are adjusted in 3 planes verses 1.

Last edited by TFOX; 08-21-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:16 AM
Dominant Buck

SO TFOX.....If I inderstand you....there are MANY potential "Correct" DL's an archer could have....even though he's using the same bow; same release aid; same anchor point references (string position is correct)?

Really?

There is no "optimal"?

Did you answer this question???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.