Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Does the loop on your string effect draw length? >

Does the loop on your string effect draw length?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does the loop on your string effect draw length?

Old 08-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Regardless... Something changes. You can anchor differently to compensate feel/string contact, but you are still longer than before if you didnt have a loop...

Last edited by drockw; 08-20-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Draw length is not measured to the d-loop,is that what you want.(I have stated how draw length is measured in this thread)

That isn't the question.Nor does it have a darn thing to do with the thread.

BUT the loop length does affect how the shooter sets the draw length of the bow and/or his anchors,they work together.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Dominant Buck

BUT the loop length does affect how the shooter sets the draw length of the bow and/or his anchors,they work together.
AGREED!

Now leave EVERYTHING else the same....and change ONLY the loop length.

Does DL change? What does?
Old 08-20-2009, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GMMAT
AGREED!

Now leave EVERYTHING else the same....and change ONLY the loop length.

Does DL change? What does?

Now the bow is setup incorrectly because the body positioning is incorrect.(release elbow is overdrawing)SO,what adjustment needs to be made to correct this?
Old 08-20-2009, 09:23 PM
Dominant Buck

That's what I thought.

Thanks.

You see...when most everyone sees the question asked...."Does loop length affect DL".....they're thinking of one archer, shooting one bow, utilizing one release aid, AND they're assuming the archer was properly fitted, initially.

You can add in all the variables (i.e. "what if he changes release aids"; "what if ATA is changed") you want...but the bottom line is....if loop length is the ONLY variable changed....it will NOT affect DL (if you maintain ALL of the other criteria mentioned, above). To shoot the bow, he'll adjust his anchor points. Will they be "wrong"? According to your videos.....no.

Your archer, utilizing improper form (after the loop alteration) just reinforces that.

JV out.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

so should i get a 27"draw on my bow and the loop give me a extra 1/2" or does the loop play no factor in that?

Here is the question and some of you seem to think it only affects anchors,IT DOES NOT.

When the question is asked,does a loop affect draw length,the answer is yes,regardless of how you want to spin it.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GMMAT
That's what I thought.

Thanks.

You see...when most everyone sees the question asked...."Does loop length affect DL".....they're thinking of one archer, shooting one bow, utilizing one release aid, AND they're assuming the archer was properly fitted, initially.

You can add in all the variables (i.e. "what if he changes release aids"; "what if ATA is changed") you want...but the bottom line is....if loop length is the ONLY variable changed....it will NOT affect DL (if you maintain ALL of the other criteria mentioned, above). To shoot the bow, he'll adjust his anchor points. Will they be "wrong"? According to your videos.....no.

Your archer, utilizing improper form (after the loop alteration) just reinforces that.

JV out.

I changed the draw length in my videos a 1/2" to accomidate the different loop lengths with the same bow.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:46 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by TFOX
Here is the question and some of you seem to think it only affects anchors,IT DOES NOT.

When the question is asked,does a loop affect draw length,the answer is yes,regardless of how you want to spin it.
If I have my bow set at 28" with a .5" loop. How long is my draw length? 28" correct? If I add a 1" draw loop, how long is my draw. It still is 28" correct? The only thing that changes is the position of my hand in the anchor. Therefore I can customize the length of my loop to allow my arm and elbow to be in perfect alignment for my shot. No draw length adjustment needed. My head and torso remain in aligment without having to lean back or turn my head slightly to compensate. The foundation (my body and head in relation to the string) and where the anchors on my face are haven't changed. The only thing that changes is my hand anchor which I can customize.

So when the question is asked, does a loop affect draw length, the answer is NO, regardless of how you want to spin it. A d loop will effect where your hand is anchored, as will the length of your release, but it won't change your facial anchors to the string or your head and body body position.

Here are a two links that might say it a little more clearly than I can
http://www.huntersfriend.com/drawlength.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox9Hc...eature=related
Old 08-21-2009, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I have my bow set at 28" with a .5" loop. How long is my draw length? 28" correct?
The bow's DL is still set to 28" but your DL is now 28.5".
If I add a 1" draw loop, how long is my draw. It still is 28"
The bow's DL is still set to 28" but your DL is now 29".

If the bow has a draw stop post and, say, cams for 28" then, after 28", the draw stop post hits the limb. If you now add a 1" d-loop the draw stop post is still going to hit the limb at 28" but you changed your DL to 29" by adding the 1" d-loop. If you now shorten the d-loop by .5" then the draw stop post still hits the limb after the string reaches 28" but your DL has been shortened by a .5".
Old 08-21-2009, 06:41 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by brucelanthier
The bow's DL is still set to 28" but your DL is now 28.5".

The bow's DL is still set to 28" but your DL is now 29".

If the bow has a draw stop post and, say, cams for 28" then, after 28", the draw stop post hits the limb. If you now add a 1" d-loop the draw stop post is still going to hit the limb at 28" but you changed your DL to 29" by adding the 1" d-loop. If you now shorten the d-loop by .5" then the draw stop post still hits the limb after the string reaches 28" but your DL has been shortened by a .5".
So I can shoot a 24" bow with 4.5" d loop and reach my 28.5 inch shooter draw length and all is ok? So in other words the bows draw length doesn't matter because all can be adjusted by the loop?

I don't think you all are recognizing what a shorter or longer draw length bow will do to your sight picture and form. If I have a 28" bow that barely touches my nose at full draw with my head in perfect alignment what will happen when I change the bows draw length to 28.5"? The string will now be .5" past where it was meeting my nose at 28". I'm forced to turn my head or lean back. I have to adjust and begin to compromise sight and form. My sight picture turns away from the target. Move it to 29" and I turn further away or lean further back. Move it to 30" and my head is pointed further away. Move it back to 28" inches and my head is turned toward the target and my head is brought back into alignment without leaning back. Do you see the effect a bow's draw length has on your head and body?

So maybe you say, "But your elbow is pointed way up?" well then I need a longer d loop to bring my elbow back down, but I don't need to make the draw length on my bow longer. Maybe you say "my elbow is too low", well then I have to shorten my loop or my release. But by doing those I don't compromise sight picture or body position, I'm only adjusting my hand position and the efficiency at which I hold the bow at full draw.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.