Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Does the loop on your string effect draw length? >

Does the loop on your string effect draw length?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does the loop on your string effect draw length?

Old 08-20-2009, 07:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Greg / MO
Todd's saved me a lot of typing over the last couple years; I used to have to try to explain everything he did -- now I just let him do all the hard work!
I know what you mean,I love it when you and BG posts ahead of me.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by TFOX
Draw length is a combination of all things relevant.The bows draw length does not change with a loop but the shooters draw length does.The shooters draw length is the ONLY THING that matters.The bow doesn't care.

Look at the videos and tell me where my sight picture changes.
There is no way I am visibly going to see a .5" difference in your sight picture on an internet video. I would struggle to see it from 6 inches away. But my point is that there is no doubt your sight picture would change because your peep is .5" closer to your eye or your anchor points are .5" further back. Take it to an extreme. Would your sight picture change if you lengthened your draw length 2 inches? Of course. Would it change if you shortened it 2 inches? Of course. My point is that the proper draw length allows you to have the proper head alignment and sight picture and then you customize your anchor point from that point.

I think most will disagree with your definition of draw length. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this issue. If it is working for you then so be it. Keep doing it.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

LOL, Todd...

To help clarify, I ran a quick search and found the last time I went on a mini-rant about the subject...

First off -- adding a loop WILL change your draw length!! It may not change the BOW'S draw length, but it will change YOURS. Adding a loop will increase the distance between your bow hand and your anchor point; assuming you keep your bow hand the same (including the relationship of the grip to the bow and eveything else), it WILL move your anchor point rearward. It HAS to; if it didn't, we could assume the loop was ZERO inches long -- which in turn means you didn't tie a loop on! Add a loop of ANY length, and it moves your anchor point rearward. To compensate and keep the EXACT same anchor, you'll have to decrease your dl, if only slightly, depending on the length of the loop.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jbowersox
There is no way I am visibly going to see a .5" difference in your sight picture on an internet video. I would struggle to see it from 6 inches away. But my point is that there is no doubt your sight picture would change because your peep is .5" closer to your eye or your anchor points are .5" further back. Take it to an extreme. Would your sight picture change if you lengthened your draw length 2 inches? Of course. Would it change if you shortened it 2 inches? Of course. My point is that the proper draw length allows you to have the proper head alignment and sight picture and then you customize your anchor point from that point.

I think most will disagree with your definition of draw length. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this issue. If it is working for you then so be it. Keep doing it.

What does it matter if the sight picture changes? Even if it did.We are all individuals and we all are affected differently by the changes we make. MOST target archers shoot different draw lengths dependant upon what kind of shooting they are doing.AND what kind of equipment they are using.

This is not MY definition,it is the AMO standard.The industry standard,I have nothing to do with it.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Shoot without a loop and your draw length is longer.So HOW can a loop NOT affect your draw length? I have shot both,28 1/2" with a short loop and a 28" with a long loop.Both are correct for me and I hit all my anchors but for outdoor shooting and hunting,the 28" is more comfortable.If I were to shoot indoor,the 28 1/2" would be more comfortable.

Seems to me those that say your draw length isn't affected by a loop have NEVER shot without one.Try fingers,does that not change your draw length as well?
AGAIN....it's the age old question of the chicken or the egg. Read my last post, again. IF YOU HAVE ESTABLISHED, CORRECT ANCHOR POINTS.....adding a loop will not affect your DL. It will change where you anchor.

To assert that it affects DL...you have to assume the archer hasn't chosen a release method. How many serious archers do you know that don't have their preference determined? I don't know any.

Add a loop of ANY length, and it moves your anchor point rearward.
Agree with that. Anchor points changed. DL didn't.

Last edited by GMMAT; 08-20-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GMMAT
AGAIN....it's the age old question of the chicken or the egg. Read my last post, again. IF YOU HAVE ESTABLISHED, CORRECT ANCHOR POINTS.....adding a loop will not affect your DL. It will change where you anchor.

To assert that it affects DL...you have to assume the archer hasn't chosen a release method. How many serious archers do you know that don't have their preference determined? I don't know any.

Agree with that. Anchor points changed. DL didn't.

Can you tell where my anchors have changed in my videos? My d-loop length changed and my draw length changed. My anchors were adjusted as well but both are correct for me in which ever venue I choose.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

The problem with adjusting your anchors to fit a loop and not adjusting the draw length of the bow is your elbow slotting will be wrong.So now you need to shorten the draw length to get slotting back but anchors need to be adjusted up slightly.

Last edited by TFOX; 08-20-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Dominant Buck

My anchors were adjusted as well but both are correct for me in which ever venue I choose.
Again....no issues with this. You adjusted your anchors. We're in agreement.

When your anchor adjustments affect form.....you're sacrificing something to gain.....what?

I can shoot a bow with DL's from 20" to 32". But, there's only one DL that's correct, for me. If I anchor in the correct spot for my correct DL....and THEN change my loop length, the only thing that will change is my anchor points. Whether my accuracy suffers or not.....is irrelevant.

Last edited by GMMAT; 08-20-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

From post #13 by me.

I do agree that your anchors change with a loop,not arguning that at all.I totally agree 100%,the only thing I dispute is your draw length can and does vary dependant upon the equipment and loop length.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:11 PM
Dominant Buck

I do agree that your anchors change with a loop,not arguning that at all.I totally agree 100%,the only thing I dispute is your draw length can and does vary dependant upon the equipment and loop length.
Never said otherwise. What I said was...every good archer I know KNOWS his preferred release choice and fits his DL with that in mind. What other "equipment" are you referring to (if not release)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.