Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Does the loop on your string effect draw length? >

Does the loop on your string effect draw length?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does the loop on your string effect draw length?

Old 08-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Spike

Default Does the loop on your string effect draw length?

I have measered my arm spam and its 69" / 2 = 27.6" so my draw length is 27.5"(i was told to round down not up) so should i get a 27"draw on my bow and the loop give me a extra 1/2" or does the loop play no factor in that?
Old 08-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

the loop adds minimally to the draw length
Old 08-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Spike

so if my draw length is 27.5? order a bow with a 27.5draw, not a 27"draw and let the loop give me that extra .5"?
Old 08-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Usually these so called formulas are for using a d-loop.I am longer than the so called formulas and have found them to be wrong quite often.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

Your draw length is your draw length. Your string loop will affect your anchor point but it won't change your draw length. Lot's of guys think they can get away with extra draw length because they will use a shorter loop, but what that does is bring the string further back in relation to the eye and the face. If the draw length is too long, you will tend to turn your face away from the target and only be able to see by straining your eyes in the opposite direction your head is having to turn. I hope that makes sense. Get the correct draw length and use your loop to set your anchor point.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Spike

k thanks guys
Old 08-20-2009, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jbowersox
Your draw length is your draw length. Your string loop will affect your anchor point but it won't change your draw length. Lot's of guys think they can get away with extra draw length because they will use a shorter loop, but what that does is bring the string further back in relation to the eye and the face. If the draw length is too long, you will tend to turn your face away from the target and only be able to see by straining your eyes in the opposite direction your head is having to turn. I hope that makes sense. Get the correct draw length and use your loop to set your anchor point.
Excellent post.

Like Todd (TFOX) said too... those forumlas are designed to be a starting point. They are often close but not dead on. Moreover, every bow company seems to have a different definition of exactly what an inch is.... some bows seem longer than others.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

The eye really doesn't determine draw length,regardless of what many think.Your anchors are relative to your pereferences and release.There are many that do not use the corner of the mouth and nose as anchors.Although they are probably the best and easiest to repeat.

If You shoot without a loop,you NEED a longer setting on the bow to have it setup properly than with the loop so the loop affected the draw length.Your anchors will need to change and you most likely will NOT have the arrow nock in line with your eye.

A loop does affect the draw length you set the bow at.You can use short loops,long loops.Short releases,or long releases.You can anchor high or low on the face and all will determing how you setup the bows draw length to best fit you.

I really get tired of people saying your draw length is your draw length and a loop doesn't change it,that is crazy.Everything you do affects how you set the bows draw length up.

Hell,I have a level 4 coach friend that has his arrow well behind his eye and most would say it isn't correct but he is the level 4 coach with students that hold world records.

Sorry but I see this misinformation continually posted on too many forums.

Last edited by TFOX; 08-20-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Your draw length is your draw length. Your string loop will affect your anchor point but it won't change your draw length.
I agree with this 100%, TFox. It comes down to "which came first....the chicken or the egg". To find your proper DL....you need to know how long of a loop you're gonna be utilizing (to hit your proper anchors....whatever they might be). But if you have the proper anchor points down....there's only one draw length that will be correct. Right?

So....if you then change your loop length....what has to change? It certainly won't be your DL. It'll be your anchor points.

Am I seeing this all wrong?
Old 08-20-2009, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by TFOX
The eye really doesn't determine draw length,regardless of what many think.Your anchors are relative to your pereferences and release.There are many that do not use the corner of the mouth and nose as anchors.Although they are probably the best and easiest to repeat.

If You shoot without a loop,you NEED a longer setting on the bow to have it setup properly than with the loop so the loop affected the draw length.Your anchors will need to change and you most likely will NOT have the arrow nock in line with your eye.

A loop does affect the draw length you set the bow at.You can use short loops,long loops.Short releases,or long releases.You can anchor high or low on the face and all will determing how you setup the bows draw length to best fit you.

I really get tired of people saying your draw length is your draw length and a loop doesn't change it,that is crazy.Everything you do affects how you set the bows draw length up.

Hell,I have a level 4 coach friend that has his arrow well behind his eye and most would say it isn't correct but he is the level 4 coach with students that hold world records.

Sorry but I see this misinformation continually posted on too many forums.
Now I remember why I didn't visit this forum for quite a while. My point, without being as degrading as you were to me, is that so many guys have too long a draw length and end up turning there head in order to reach back to their peep. With proper form, the distance between your eye and the front of your hand will not change. That distance doesn't determine one's draw length but that distance won't change, and it does determine how well you can see. The more you turn your eye to the side the harder it will be to see. No question. My draw length is 28" period. A 28" draw length allows me to see to my fullest potential and draw and hold to my fullest potential. I adjust everything else based on that foundation. I don't change my foundation based on the rest of the equipment I'm using. For me, It is essential to good form. I know my head will be facing the same direction every time if I have that same foundation. From there I make my adjustments...my peep height, release and loop length (to anchor point). I'll stick with what I said....Your draw length is your draw length.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.