Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Tipping your guides >

Tipping your guides

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tipping your guides

Old 08-18-2009, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by liquidorange
another issue to look at is that some outfitters set there hunts up so that full payment is due before the hunt starts. i think this creates an atmosphere that your money is gone and spent before you set foot in camp. when you show up in camp this can lead to a lazy attitude from the outfitter because they got theres already. this also makes it more that they expect a tip since your showing up owing nothing to start with. the tip thing should be a personal issue but 50$ to 200$ would be my low and high depending.
We only had a $200 deposit with the rest due upon arrival.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hardcorehunter
I have been on eight black bear hunts and I never tipped a one, and neither did my buddies. But then again, it usually states that skinning the bear is included and we always do our own. No one tips me when I kill bugs in their house, as I own a pest control business. I charge a fee, and you pay. Same as paying to go hunting imo. I know I have read where some people feel that you should tip your guide, cook, the guy that saddles your horse...everyone involved in the hunt. I tip graciously in restaurants, but not when I am hunting.
I hunt out of state all of the time and just do self guided, unless I am on a bear hunt where I need a guy baiting weeks in advance to get the bait established or if I was hunting Mountain Lions with dogs. Other than that, as long as the rules don't require it, I am pretty good and doing it on my own.

BTW; good luck!!!!!!
exactly. if its a self guided i dont believe in it either.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

The tip is a personal thing.

I have been on guided hunts for 5 different species of animals.

All I can say is the eastern whitetail guides provide the least service/effort of any of them.

Your guide will ride you around in the truck and show you the area that you hunt.

Morning of the hunt he tells 'you to go along the edge of that corn field, you will see a ribbon about 300yds down that way ,climb up the ladder - What time do want me to pick you up?'

After he picks you up, you ride around a little more and listen to story's of last years hunt.

Evening hunt "There is a ladder in that big tree over there, I'll be back for you right after dark".

Thats about it.

As opposed to Elk,Turkey, Mulies and such where they actually participate in the hunt and really have to work with the hunter as a team to get it done.

I think the effort put in, has a lot to do with the cash that comes out.

Experience has taught me, if they also take gun hunters out -You might be disapointed.

I wish you well -Good luck
Old 08-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

It may not mean anything to you but I have been to Il. the last 4 yrs in pike and brown county the hunt price averaged around $3,000 I was happy with the service of the guides and cook on my hunts and I gave the cook $100 and my guide $200. I only killed a buck 1 of those yrs but I had the chance to shoot a 130" deer every year.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never went on a guided hunt so I don't know what others normally do.... But reading your post, one of the keywords for me was the semi-guided comment - not sure what's all entailed, but I kinda view that like tipping at a buffet.... IF you tipped anything at all, I would think it would be a lot lower % than if you were on a fully guided hunt.... Now if you end up smoking a monster and you know you want to go back - that may be a different story.... JMO