Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Anybody Doing an Urban/City Bow hunt? >

Anybody Doing an Urban/City Bow hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody Doing an Urban/City Bow hunt?

Old 08-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Banned

Default Anybody Doing an Urban/City Bow hunt?

I just signed my girlfriend Emily and I up for the hoops we have to jump through in order to qualify for a city/urban deer hunt. We have to take a Bow hunter safety class. The class is free, but lasts 4 hours and and then 4 days later we have to pass a shooting proficiency test. The class is good for any city hunt in the state in upcoming years, but every year a shooting proficiency test has to be taken again. Last year the city I live in, offered 200 of these tags, and only had 10 applicants participate with only 5 does checked in, according to what my pro shop claimed. The City hunt will be in its' 3rd season this year. A lot of guys think it is a pain, as there are rules such as the deer has to be covered entirely as it is being dragged out of the woods and you can not gut the deer in the city woods either.This, and there are no buck incentives, like some other city hunts in IOWA offer. I am doing it as it will be great way to train Emily on how to bow hunt, hang a stand/sticks, stand area selection, and etc since this is her 1st year. I can be relaxed training her, as it is doe only and I don't have to worry about educating deer in my own woods. looks like a great way to train youth and new comers to bow hunting deer. Plus, season opens 15 days before regular season. I figure it will be a great way to also get some experience in my new Tree saddle. Anybody else doing an Urban hunt?
Old 08-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Maine has an urban archery hunt as well without all the jumbo you have to go threw.. With landowner permission or city owned land and you are all set. You must buy your permits for as many does as you would like pretty much. They were $12 each last year and a single buck tag is $45. It's hard to get used to that type of hunting IMO after hunting the deep woods up here most of your life though.. This is a special archery hunt in order to control problem deer up here with the season strating in September and running into December. A whole lot of hunting time however..
Old 08-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I applied for the Suburban Whitetail Managers of Northern VA this summer. Hoops included application, interview, shooting test, IBEP cert and background check. I am just waiting for my property assignments. There are a ton a specific rules but offers the opportunity to hunt VA's extended suburban season near home.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

I bowhunt inside the city limits of Atlanta. There aren't any "hoops" except for finding a spot and getting permission.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I take rob/pa and ben/pa on one of these every year thus being there second year I think they like it. No classes needed.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

I do a lot of my hunting in an urban setting i have a friend that is a GM of a golf course and has tons of deer running around it. Some people say it is easy hunting however they are smart animals and with a smaller core area they can definetly tell when something is out of the ordinary. Best advice is scout hang stands early to let them get used to it. The city I hunt in the rules state not bucks on pubic property but it doesn't say anything about private property. The city wants hunters to only shoot does on public ground but do not care about the private property. I do have a buch of hoops to jump through. Proficncy test, class, extra permit fee. But the class is now starting to be reuired by other states out west like SD so if you plan on leaving the state you may need it any way. Also the proficency test is really a good thing if you cant pass it you have no busines being in any woods IMO whether in town or not it think they should start requiring it every where I have seen a lot of guys that never practice and think that because they can hit a 2 foot target one in 5 shots they are good to go, I hate that.
Any way good luck and let us know how you do
Old 08-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

I have put in for a couple of state park deer reduction hunts. Just waiting to hear back as to whether I have been drawn yet or not.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Been doing it for years. No hoops, just finding land and doing it discretly as to not worry the neighbors.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can you say Ninja!!!

I caught this guy (see avatar) 101 yards from a house... I have a few other locations that reside in the middle of million dollar homes, the largest being $13mm. I think the deer like the fine dining of the landscaping-smorgasbord. I hope I can arrow the 12 pointer to frequent this neighborhood, although he beat me last year, I'm ready for the big one this year (fingers crossed)!!!
Old 08-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will be trying the urban hunting for the first time this year. Got a few spots I can start to hunt on the 12th within a few minutes of town. Pretty excited!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.