Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Thinking on getting a compound bow what is a good starter? >

Thinking on getting a compound bow what is a good starter?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thinking on getting a compound bow what is a good starter?

Old 08-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stoop14
Well i'm right handed and i'm right eye dominant, so i would hold the bow with my left hand right and pull back with my right, so i would need a right handed bow correct?
yea..u need to to go to a pro shop, have them measure your draw length, teach you proper form, and shoot some bows bro
Old 08-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Spike

it will cost me around 200$ too drive to where there is a bow shop, i did call them and they seem kinda steep for prices, $585 for the pse stinger ready to shoot package which cabelas.ca sells for $499, or even that link that other guy posted has some really great deals. I dunno if that 200$ is worth getting a half inch here or there on my draw.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

Well i'm right handed and i'm right eye dominant, so i would hold the bow with my left hand right and pull back with my right, so i would need a right handed bow correct?
That's right.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Banned

it will cost me around 200$ too drive to where there is a bow shop, i did call them and they seem kinda steep for prices, $585 for the pse stinger ready to shoot package which cabelas.ca sells for $499, or even that link that other guy posted has some really great deals. I dunno if that 200$ is worth getting a half inch here or there on my draw.
You need to go to a pro shop regardless of costs involved and get taught how to shoot a bow correctly and measured right for your draw length. Otherwise, you will waste time and $$ and you will not enjoy archery. Then get on Archerytalk and buy a nice top of the line bow used, as many of us trade new bows constantly liking the latest greatest out there.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by hardcorehunter
hmmmmmmmmm....shouldn't this say...imo. Because I know many people that feel that Barnsdales are the best. And now Strothers is building something even better than Barnsdales, or so the story goes.
Untill they have a fail rate less than Hoyt's % wise,I don't think it is opinion.Well,Strother has a lower fail rate but they don't have any on the market as of yet.

Hoyt limbs are PROVEN,Barnsdale makes good limbs but they don't have the track record that Hoyt's do.

I would still advise going to a shop and letting them fix you up.A 1/2" here or there does make a difference and might even save you money in the long run.Not only draw length but poundage makes a huge difference as well.After you have gotten into the game and have some experience,then buying internet bows might be a great idea but for now,you need to get setup right to save HOURS of aggrivation.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Spike

but isn't there some bows that you can change the draw length yourself with just a alan key/wrench? Wouldn't that be ideal for me so i could get it just right if i don't go to the pro shop?
Old 08-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out the Diamond Stud. Great feel, nice grip, light, pretty quick, comes with string supressor, draw length adjusts 24"-30" by rotating the module, good price just over $500. Go to a proshop if you can and get it there.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

but isn't there some bows that you can change the draw length yourself with just a alan key/wrench? Wouldn't that be ideal for me so i could get it just right if i don't go to the pro shop?
Yes,the bow I recommended can be changed via module but you still don't know what is the right draw length.Trial and error might get you there but being new,how will you know what is right and what is wrong?

If you don't go to a shop,you will probably be better served with a rotating module.

I understand your delimma.Most of us that are saying go to a shop have been doing this for YEARS and we went through lots of headaches getting where we are now.Atleast you have the internet where we can help when you do get your bow.

Good luck
Old 08-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

I actually just shot some bows today and would consider myself almost a beginner(havent shot in years) the smoothest and easiest bows to shoot for me were the Mathews Drenalin, Switchback and Bowtech Admiral. I shot the switchback a couple years ago but it was the smoothest bow Ive ever shot. I would look into some "easy to shoot" bows like these. Go to the pro shop and try them and any other you see. The more bows you shoot the better the chances of finding the "perfect bow" are. Check ebay for some also. Good deals on top-end bows.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:44 AM
Spike

well i did the measure thing i think my draw is 27.5, but a bow that is easy to adjust, is that stud ez to adjust? whats a string suppressor?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.