Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Thinking on getting a compound bow what is a good starter? >

Thinking on getting a compound bow what is a good starter?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thinking on getting a compound bow what is a good starter?

Old 08-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Spike

Default Thinking on getting a compound bow what is a good starter?

I'm looking to get into using a compound bow and was wondering what is a good starter bow for myself? I'm 5'8 and in good shape.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Dominant Buck

ANY Mathews.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Right now the best deal on the market is most likely the Hoyt Turbohawk.It has a module draw length adjustment and the best limbs in the buisness.They run about $500-$550(dependant on location) and there is a $50 rebate from Hoyt.

Of course,there are plenty of great bows on the market but imo,this one is hard to beat.

Just make sure you go to a good pro shop and get fitted and setup properly.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default bear

look at the bear line of bows. you can get a bow that hangs with the best at a very affordable price. ive got the truth 2. it is a super smooth bow but is bears top of the line bow. its a lil expensive if you are just starting off. good luck.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Spike

I actually can't get it fitted at a pro shop because there isn't a place that sells bows where i live so i have to order it online. Is this going to be a problem? like is there much up kepp i will have too do that i can't do myself? Like with there being no pro shop, would it be a bad idea for me to even get a compound bow?

Last edited by stoop14; 08-16-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Typical Buck

My 2 cents. Find a Pearson Z34. If you buy one used, you'll get an incredible deal and get an awesome bow for your money. Not many people are talking about them, but in my opinion they are some of the best bows on the market. They are smooth and they are fast. They are a great hunting bow and they are a great target bow. You can't go wrong.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by TFOX
Right now the best deal on the market is most likely the Hoyt Turbohawk.It has a module draw length adjustment and the best limbs in the buisness.They run about $500-$550(dependant on location) and there is a $50 rebate from Hoyt.

Of course,there are plenty of great bows on the market but imo,this one is hard to beat.

Just make sure you go to a good pro shop and get fitted and setup properly.
X2 for the Hoyt Hawk series either Power,Super or Turbo. It isn't a bow you will grow out of either (meaning it is more then a starter bow).
Old 08-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Spike

what about what i said about not having a pro shop around? bow upkieep and stuff like that like fitting it to me and such
Old 08-16-2009, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stoop, you have to find out your draw length. Just take out a tape measure and pinch it between your thumb and pointer finger on your left hand. Pull the other part of the tape measure back with your right hand and anchor it to the right corner of your mouth. That is your draw length. At 5'8" and average length arms, you probably have a draw length of around 26-26.5 inches.

Once you have that, you can order a bow. Do not worry about spending $500+ dollars on a bow. If you have the money and want to, by all means go for it. If not, you can order a good bow for $200-$300. I bought my Reflex Excursion off E-bay 5 seasons ago for under $200 brand new. It has killed deer just like any other bow.

Measure your draw length first, then come back on here and tell us. I would suggest pulling between #50-#60 pounds on your first bow.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

I would recommend a hoyt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.