HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   using natural food sources? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/300714-using-natural-food-sources.html)

burlyman 08-16-2009 02:21 PM

using natural food sources?

has anyone ever done this? im not a huge supporter of man made attractants like acorn rage or buck jam. has anyone ever tried walking through the woods with a bucket..filling it with fresh or old acorns...and then dumping a pile in your area? would this work to bring deer in? should you use whole acorns or smash them?

appleater25 08-16-2009 05:48 PM

Lots of people do it...it sure does work...doesn't really matter about the form

Windwalker7 08-16-2009 08:09 PM

You're going to laugh when I tell you this.........try pickiing up deer poop from an area far away from your hunting area and throw it around.

Deer very curious and will investigate the droppings of what they believe are new deer to the area.

BUCKMARK 08-16-2009 08:29 PM

When walking in, I always try to step in deer droppings or even cow pies if they are around. The more natural the smells, the better...

Siman08/OH 08-16-2009 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Windwalker7 (Post 3409904)
You're going to laugh when I tell you this.........try pickiing up deer poop from an area far away from your hunting area and throw it around.

Deer very curious and will investigate the droppings of what they believe are new deer to the area.

Very intersting :poke:

I MAY actually try this

phil_pick 08-16-2009 10:20 PM

Be careful moving even natural food around like that without checking out your local baiting laws. In Wisconsin, most of our state has a no baiting law and it covers moving acorns or apples or anything else to a new location, even if its on the same property. It is legal to hunt over these foods only if they haven't been moved in any way.

The Outdoorsman 08-17-2009 07:35 AM

Moving acorns, hedge apples, etc to your area and putting them out is a good way to get movement thru your area. Even freshly cut corn that didnt make it into the combine is good too. Just check your land owner about that one because you are considered trespassing on his land to pick it up.

HuntingBry 08-17-2009 07:46 AM

I did something like this several years ago with success. I scouted a couple of apple trees that were dropping and had a lot of deer coming to them so I set up over the trees. In 2 evenings I saw a lot of deer, but they were either out of range or the apples were in heavy cover offering no shots. So I went in early one afternoon and got myself as scent free as possible and using rubber gloves tossed some of the apples to a more advantageous position. Later that evening I was dragging a deer out.:cool2:

Bernie P. 08-17-2009 08:41 AM

Why not just hunt the spots where the natural feed is in the first place?Walking around in these areas leaving your scent will just put them off.Same goes for the area where you dump what you collected.You'll now have two places they wont want to go feed.Seems to me your just working against yourself.

Ohio Bowhunter75 08-17-2009 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bernie P. (Post 3410304)
Why not just hunt the spots where the natural feed is in the first place?Walking around in these areas leaving your scent will just put them off.Same goes for the area where you dump what you collected.You'll now have two places they wont want to go feed.Seems to me your just working against yourself.

+1,:rolleye0011: