HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   definition of BAITING deer?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/300713-definition-baiting-deer.html)

burlyman 08-16-2009 01:46 PM

definition of BAITING deer??

i live and hunt in new york. it is illegal to bait deer. what i am having trouble with is the use of attractants and which ones are illegal. obviously it is illegal to to dump apples or corn in the woods. the NY DEC website says it is illegal to use a food source or mineral lick to bring deer in. what about products like buck jam or acorn rage?? they are powders and syrups....are they considered a food source? the deer dont eat that stuff they just like the smell so are attracted to the area. i have read over the rules and regs several times but am still unsure. anyone live in NY or familiar with these definitions please help me out...thanks...

wingchaser_labs 08-16-2009 02:03 PM

Those are both food sources. Deer eat both. They are intended for deer consumption not just an attractant by smell. The jam is considered a mineral mainly. WCL

Fieldmouse 08-16-2009 02:32 PM

Here is on of the most effective and legal way to bait deer in all the states. If you have done your homework right, you're hunting a spot where deer travel. So during the rut and a long the way to your stand, pull down the higher green branches that deer haven't been able to get to standing on their hind legs. When you get to your stand, put the branches on the trails where you can get a good shot. Does will see these branches and instantly go for them. I'm talking making a BEE line. While they devour the leaves, the will take a pee, thus laying down the freshest **** in town. You'll be amazed how well it works. The bucks will follow suit.

sits in trees 08-16-2009 02:49 PM

there are many gray areas as far as baiting laws are concerned in NY state. i've heard people say that state COs will bust you for racking acorns into a pile near your stand?????:confused0024:

Fieldmouse 08-16-2009 02:54 PM

Yes, I've heard that also. However, it's a stretch when your cutting a shooting lane and that branch full of green leaves falls just right. Besides, they have a very very short life span when they're on the ground unlike that pile of acorns.

marlin30/30_drabe 08-16-2009 05:06 PM

i would say no you cant use it the dec is usually pretty clear on this

Beezer 08-16-2009 06:49 PM

One simple rule...."If in doubt, call and ask." The rules where I hunt are cut and dry....if they like coffee, you can build a Starbuck's in the middle of a 12ton pile of corn. If they like peanut butter, feed 'em peanut butter sandwiches with a maple syrup chaser, as long as I stick with the rest of the rules, I don't have a problem.

crokit 08-16-2009 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by burlyman (Post 3409585)
i live and hunt in new york. it is illegal to bait deer. what i am having trouble with is the use of attractants and which ones are illegal. obviously it is illegal to to dump apples or corn in the woods. the NY DEC website says it is illegal to use a food source or mineral lick to bring deer in. what about products like buck jam or acorn rage?? they are powders and syrups....are they considered a food source? the deer dont eat that stuff they just like the smell so are attracted to the area. i have read over the rules and regs several times but am still unsure. anyone live in NY or familiar with these definitions please help me out...thanks...

Burlyman: Save yourself the fine,: what you describe is illegal in NY state.

wis_bow_huntr 08-17-2009 03:25 AM

These are some good defs of baiting and scents. (From Wis. DNR)

What exactly is considered bait?
Bait is any material that is placed or used to attract wild animals, including scent
materials, salt, minerals, grains, etc. Water is not considered bait.

What is considered a scent material?
Scent is any material, except animal parts or by-products, used to attract wild animals

In areas where deer baiting is not allowed, what CAN I USE to attract deer
closer to my stand if I can’t use bait?
Use of the following are legal statewide:
•
Decoys
•
Scents
•
Naturally occurring material (such as acorns), deposited by natural vegetation, that
is not collected and relocated in any manner.

•
Crops planted and left standing as wildlife food plots.
•
Material deposited solely as a result of normal agricultural or gardening practices

and not collected and relocated for hunting or other purposes.

Mr. Longbeard 08-17-2009 05:14 AM

As far as I'm concerened... If your hunting any food plot your hunting baited deer...