Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
climbing stand vs hang-on stand >

climbing stand vs hang-on stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

climbing stand vs hang-on stand

Old 08-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

Default climbing stand vs hang-on stand

Hey everyone,

I'm needing to buy a treestand for this year's KS archery season. I'm on the fence on whether I should buy a climbing stand or hang-on stand. Here are a few constraints that I have:
  1. I'll be hunting public land where I cannot leave a stand overnight, so it has to be easy to carry and easy to remove.
  2. I cannot use screw-in footsteps on this public land either
At first I was seriously considering a Summit Viper SS treestand but then, there are some really good hang-on stands that seem to be easy to set up (with a set of strap on ladders)and carry into the woods. I also plan on using this during rifle season so a crossbar rest would be nice as well. If you guys had to buy another stand, which type would you all buy?

Thanks
Old 08-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

I use the lone wolf alpha hang on and lone wolf climbing sticks. I can set them up faster than a climber and spend alot less time looking for a tree, you can hang it anywhere.JMO
Old 08-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Typical Buck

I am going through the same decision right now. I am going with sticks and hang on just for the fact I can use just about any tree unlike a climber you need the "right" tree. The only thing for you would be the gun rest.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hanging is faster and easier to deal with, but at sixty I have to use a climber.

I would rather make a natural ground blind of the terrain allows it.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Dominant Buck

I love this style loggy. I don't like the climbing aid that is being sold with it, but I love just the bottom platform. They don't make it anymore so you have to pick them up off ebay. Bought my son one last year or the year before.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Loggy-Bayou-Cimb...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 08-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lone wolf climber easily packs and climbs!!
Old 08-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by jjones
I use the lone wolf alpha hang on and lone wolf climbing sticks. I can set them up faster than a climber and spend alot less time looking for a tree, you can hang it anywhere.JMO
Same here...very fast and "you can hang it anywhere"
Old 08-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Spike

I've got the Lone Wolf Alpha hangon and sit n climb. If I'm hunting an area where I don't have a tree picked out, I always carry the hangon and sticks. If I know what tree I'll be climbing, I'll carry the climber. It takes about the same amount of time to get set up with both set-ups.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:10 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to seriously look into the lone wolf with the climbing sticks. The compactness of a climber looks nice but I think the limitations in the trees I can use with it are too much. From what I've seen, the trees that make the best stands couldn't ever be used with a climber.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

when I hear the word public I think a temporary stand! That being said, when I hear people talking about taking big bucks I think HANG ON stands. First things first:

I'm partial towards hang-ons b/c that's how I hunt, but I do own 2 climbing stands. In addition your specific types of trees have alot to do with it.

I picked a hand on stand in combo with a summit climbing step setup b/c I hunt on PUBLIC LAND ONLY. This means a number of things. First, I cannot leave my stand set up, and if I do it's stolen. 2nd, by law I must have a temporary stand.

Now for the benefits of a step-and-stand combo VS a climbing setup that I've discovered so far.... In my neck of the woods, all of the straight trees end up exposing you to deer, you have no coverage at all. So, climbers aren't really a great option althought alota people use them. Next, prior to me getting my tree steps, I started to calculate my success ratios between climbing stand and hang-on stand. In the hang on last season (and my first season in a hang-on) I batted about .333 and outa my climber I batted a big fat 0.0000. Now, that's not to say that causation reflects correlation, but it made me lean towards hang-ons none-the-less. That's why I purchased my SUMMIT steps.. I would've purchased the Lone Wolf tree steps, however; the Summit steps allow you to step on EVERY step with both feet, which allows me to sneak a couple extra feet COMFORTABLY ever time I set up my stand (at least during this past summer this holds true)

But yeah, LW treestand are great...perhaps the mellenium is more comfy, but the LW leveling system is great. And the summit steps I picked are yet to let me down as far as climbing goes. (TAKE INTO ACCOUNT, i had to silence my summit steps by taking 'rubberized undercoating' to them, otherwise they sound like steel barrels banging together... I'll youtube the process when I get a chance. But yeah.... LW stands are the way to go and I like the summit steps b/c you can put both feet at any one level

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.