Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Hunter Specialties Scent Away >

Hunter Specialties Scent Away

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunter Specialties Scent Away

Old 08-15-2009, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default Hunter Specialties Scent Away

if anyone uses this product which do you prefer the odorless formula or the fresh earth formula, is the fresh earth more of a cover scent??
Old 08-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

used too use the fresh earth now it reminds me of hunting and gets my adrenaline pumping but i found some white acorn cover wafers so i have used them recently
Old 08-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know a guy that was on a hunt with me that killed a bait by using Earth scent.

The outfitter smelled it and thought it was moldy clothes or at least something moldy. We chased it down to to the earth scent. He quit using it and killed a nice cinnamon bear 1st night.

Was it that? Who knows? I do prefer to go as odorless as possible myself regardless of what I hunt.

Dan
Old 08-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MeanV2
I do prefer to go as odorless as possible myself regardless of what I hunt.

Dan
Dito - Never alerting the animal that your trying to murder... If something is off kilter the old deer will most likely know about it. You may fool the immature deer but very rarely a mature deer!
Old 08-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

This might be all in my mind but I'll tell you what I think.

I noticed that deer seem to notice me more when using the earth scent.

I have a theory about that.

The local Walmarts have big displays of the earth scented cover spray on sale every year before hunting season. I think that every body and their brother picks up a bottle before the season.

Now you got a bunch of guys walking around in the woods wearing this earth scent. Deer smell it as they are bumping into all the hunters. Soon deer become wary of this smell.

Anyway, as far fetched as this sounds, I believe it. I just seem to get picked up by deer more often when I use it. I hear more deer snorting too.

My advice is to go scentless as possible, although I'd like to try Fitzgerald's Deer Dander, if I could get my hands on some this year.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to use the odorless spray. Now I just use mother nature. I rub pine needles, soil, and weeds on my clothing and boots on my way to the stand. I'll even bring some up in the stand with me and periodically rub my clothing. It's worked pretty well for me so far. As for the earth scent spray, I'd rather use the real thing, good old dirt.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also want to try some Deer Dander this season. I have used dirt, sticks and leaves before in a bag with my clothes before I went out. I also have used a cover scent called "B.A. Tree" that was acorn scented...worked pretty well. Haven't found it in a couple years though.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Bartender

I use the original stuff and when I wash my cloths I do a double rinse then hang
them outside in the woods over night before tucking them away in a lock tight container. Like always though try to play the wind the best you can.

T
Old 08-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Odorless, I've never been busted. Scent Killer user for years.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Both odorless and fresh earth seem to have worked about the same for me but overall I agree odorless is probably the better choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.