Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Friend that just can't shoot??? >

Friend that just can't shoot???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Friend that just can't shoot???

Old 08-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hungar - Great perspective and many of my own thoughts...

Yes, he is stubborn and I understand mistakes can happen, I own a few myself. However it's a tough letting someone take a "chance" at killing a deer, etically.

It's almost like telling your parents or grandparents they can't drive a vehicle or their too old and need to go into assisted living. I guess the age old saying of - "leading a horse to water, but you can't make them drink"..!!

He has always been a traditional guy until 3 years ago when his boss bought him a compound bow for x-mas.
I think I'll ask him to pull out his old bow and try that. With ANY luck he will be better than with the wheely bow??!

Last edited by Edcyclopedia; 08-16-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:15 AM
Spike

Why not move him closer to the target when you practice? His shooting should improve and he could address his target panic. Have him concentrate on a spot he wants to hit.

How much more hunting years does this guy have? A good clean kill could be a great memory. SRM
Old 08-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Typical Buck

Some people pick up archery faster than others,I would call them "a natural" like tiger woods with golf or adrian peterson with football,I taught my dad with a bowtech to shoot 5-6 years ago and he listened to tips and picked it right up,he had great equipment and someone who was experienced to learn from which always helps,but sometimes it takes a little more practice and a little more time for some people.In my case it would take some doing to stop the "hunt,n peck" 2 finger style of typing practice practice practice!
Old 08-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well Ed having hunted more than a few times in S. NH around Fitzwilliams you could take your pal and he probably won't see a deer anyway. JK.. I know a lot of guys who shoot deer in the southern 1/4 of the state now. Population is doing great in that portion of the state although I'm not sure I want to spend a week in the big woods of Colbrook!!...

What are NH's Xbows restrictions. If you can set him up with an xbow his chances of missing lessen as long as he doesn't exceed a responsible shooting distance. Crossbows are deffinately easier to become proficient with whatever drawbacks they may have.

Lets face it guys most bow guys are poor shots cause they just don't practice.. Maybe OK on a paper plate but thats not the real world.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:32 AM

I hope I cna still bowhunt at 67. Just being bale to attempt it is really impressive. I think you are being to hard on him, give him some credit just being able to get out in the woods and try to hunt... let alone bowhunt. But I do think a crossbow would be a good way to help both of you out.