HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Bow/BH sound vs. Deer reaction time with speed bow.. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/300443-bow-bh-sound-vs-deer-reaction-time-speed-bow.html)

drockw 08-13-2009 12:18 PM

Bow/BH sound vs. Deer reaction time with speed bow..

I found this video on youtube, and while the guy who did the video isnt the most technical or a great shot or anything like that, I did find one part that interested me quite a bit.

We argue alot on here about bh hiss and loudness of a bow etc... This guy is using an XLR8 which imo is a perfect example for this. Its pretty loud compared to a lot of others, but much quieter than the bows of yesteryear... I believe that the speeds of these "speed bows" might actually outweigh some of the quiet advantages of some other setups in certain situations...

Im not trying to imply faster is better or anything like that with this thread either. The camera and setup etc. is all really subjective in this "test" so we really cant say anythiing for sure, but as you can tell from the video itself... You can BARELY hear the bow, and by the time you hear it, the arrow is hitting the target which far outweighs the distant sound of the XLR8.

What do you guys think? Discussion please, no bashing!

Derek

BTW, the part im talking about is at about 4 minutes into the video where he has the cam on the target.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2maLG...eature=related

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-13-2009 01:30 PM

Why didn't he give his speed?

And unmatched KE, LMAO! ! ! ! ! ! !

Anyway, that's not what this is about.

I had a Hoyt that I slowed down to 285 fps, it was much quieter than his bow in this video. At 19 yards I had a buck duck my arrow (not intentionally) so don't be fooled, they can react to sound. The speed of sound is 1,125 ft/s, a couple fps out of a bow here or there isn't going to make that much of a difference. Remember, the arrow is not in the air a full second at most bow rangers. So a fraction of a second is all we're talking about. Think about it.

I'll take quiet over speed but both are kinda nice! The video bow seemed loud to me.

K-ZONE 08-13-2009 04:46 PM

If a buck is tense and knows something is up there is no bow that is quiet enough and even though speed may help you some if your not holden for a heart shot there is a better than good chance you will shoot over or have a bad hit the farther you get past 20yds.

MeanV2 08-13-2009 07:28 PM

I think with Bow design today there is NO reason to shoot anything but a quiet bow. My Sentinel would rival a mouse fart and while I have not run it through the Chrono. It is very quick.

I'll try to Chrono it tomorrow if I get time.:guiness:

I like a fast Bow but I demand that it be Quiet as well.

Dan

TFOX 08-13-2009 07:34 PM

Yes,the arrow will NEVER outrun the speed of sound.

Most deer are ducking arrows within 10-15 yards,that arrow is there quick and they still seem to be able to squat to start running.I had it happen on an ALERT deer at 5 yards and I missed her completely(my fault for not aiming low)

TFOX 08-13-2009 07:44 PM

Did anyone else notice his arrow appears to be sitting nock high at full draw? Might eplain why his arrows are hitting in a vertical line.Man I need help.:rolleyes:

drockw 08-13-2009 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by TFOX (Post 3407772)
Did anyone else notice his arrow appears to be sitting nock high at full draw? Might eplain why his arrows are hitting in a vertical line.Man I need help.:rolleyes:

Lol! At least someone is here to see that kinda stuff:guiness:

Anyways, like I said, Im not implying in any way that speed>quiet!

I was just noticing, that although the XLR8 may be one of the most radical bows out right now, and with that comes "loud", it was still so quiet from 20 yards that it was almost unnoticeable.

Not saying that a deer cant duck it. We all know what an alert deer is like... A leaf falls and it jumps!

Compared to bows say... 15 yrs ago, we have improved efficiency a ton!

BTW, my fastest hunting setup was 285... Before that it was 270. Once again, not trying to advocate speed here... Just an kinda neat to see it from the deers view.

Derek

MeanV2 08-14-2009 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by TFOX (Post 3407769)
Yes,the arrow will NEVER outrun the speed of sound.

Most deer are ducking arrows within 10-15 yards,that arrow is there quick and they still seem to be able to squat to start running.I had it happen on an ALERT deer at 5 yards and I missed her completely(my fault for not aiming low)

TFOX, I agree! and....

IMHO deer are much more likely to duck an arrow inside 25 yards than they are outside 25 yards:biggrin:

Dan

ijimmy 08-14-2009 09:37 AM

The arrow makes noise also , especialy mine with feathers on the back , I think the deer duck the sound of the arrow also

drockw 08-14-2009 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by MeanV2 (Post 3407869)
TFOX, I agree! and....

IMHO deer are much more likely to duck an arrow inside 25 yards than they are outside 25 yards:biggrin:

Dan

Right... Thats kinda what i was getting at... THis supposedly loud bow is almost un-noticeable at 20 yds... Im sure your sentinel would never be heard if it was setup the same way as this video was:rock:

Derek