HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Advanced deer calling (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/300373-advanced-deer-calling.html)

Iowabucks44 08-12-2009 05:14 PM

Advanced deer calling

Hey everyone.

I have been deer hunting for quite a few years but only feel i have a slight grasp on any kind of advanced deer calling. Grunt calls that is.

Anybody have any info on where i can find tips, recordings, articles, any kind of info on what you would call advanced deer calling? Beyond the basics. I would be alot more confident going into this season if i knew a little more.

Thanks, Jerry.

wis_bow_huntr 08-13-2009 03:27 AM

Speaking of advanced calling. I have never gotten a snortweez to work. When the hell should I try this. Ive tried it when Ive seen bucks in the field, they do stop eating and look towards me with interest but thats as far as it ever goes....

nybowhunter 08-13-2009 03:48 AM

I would love to her from some of the seasoned hunters around here. I am not comfortable calling either. I've had sucess with a bleat can, but that's about it.

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-13-2009 06:13 AM

I started calling deer 25 years ago and cannot believe the success I've had with it. It doesn't always work but when it does, they can come on a string. I've called deer to bow range from 250 yards away.

Last years Halloween buck was walking away at 75 yards, 3 grunts later and he stood at 8 yards. Well, you know the rest.

I'm not claiming to be an authority on calling, I'm just saying it can work.

I've been meaning to do a video tutorial for ya'll that want to listen. Again, I'm not going to give a HOW TO video, I'm going to do a "What's worked for me". Video.

chris2216 08-13-2009 08:13 AM

everytime I have done the snort wheeze the deer has split like thier tail was on fire. I like the buck roar call but I use it like you would any grunt call. I like the deep tone . The deer seem to respond to it. I also use a grunt call when I am rattleing. I like to start out softly and then get louder If I get not action. same thing with the antlers. I think you can call to much but many feel you can't. I like to hit the call about every 30 min. or so. If I have deer movent or I see the deer I usually don't call at all unless I am sure he is leaving my area and then it is "what have you got to loose".

drockw 08-13-2009 12:35 PM

I wouldnt say im the man hear, and Rob who obviously has a ton of experience as well as many others could probably give more details but... Knowing what kind of stance the deer is in seems to be the biggest issue. If its a buck feeding out in a field in mid september, the likeliness that an aggressive call/snort wheeze is going to work is probably slim to none. Now, when its late october/early november and you have rattled him in, but dont want him to pin point your sound and he seems to be loosing interest and isnt close enough to shoot, thats when i would go with an aggressive low/deep grunt or snort if you can do it...

About 4 years ago I rattled the biggest buck ive ever seen while hunitng run right to me... When he came in he was sooo alert it was ridiculous. I felt like I couldnt do anything else b/c i thought he owuld pin point my location. Another deep grunt and he came closer looking and into range. I failed on my part by missing him, but to say the least, he came to the calls.

Just my experience, which like i said is not necesarrily advanced, but ive set in the tree for a few hours in my 9yrs of bow hunting;) Trial and error I guess really as ive not found something to work for every situation, but it seems like doing what you think the deer wants to hear is best.

How bout that video Rob???!!!

Derek